Contribute
Register

GTX 460 KERNEL PANIC FIX (Permanent!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
stpike2001 said:
So far I have had a totally stable system. I would usually encounter a panic from my video card every 2 to 3 hours or so, with multiple things going on, video, background downloading etc. At the moment 30 hours later of constant up time w/ no panics, I am growing more and more confident. Giddy even :lol:

The only thing I did was the NVDAGF100Hal.kext hack listed. I did nothing else. I maintained my 3,1 macpro smbios.plist config.

I am running 10.6.7, mach_kernel 10.7.3 (apple vanilla), with bootloader Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r827 from http://www.kexts.com/cat/2-bootloaders.html. Rest of my specs are to the left in my post under my avatar. In additon, I have CUDA 4.0 installed w/ the latest nVidia driver from their Webiste: http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-mac ... river.html (Quadro Pro 4000 is correct for drivers for my 460gtx.. works great) and GraphicsEnabler=Yes in plist. I am using a custom DSDT I created myself.

For those w/ fear of making changes, just make backup copy of changed kext on desktop or favorite backup location du jour, and use your emergency cd if it goes wrong to undo changes. My emergency CD happens to be iBoot Legacy.

As for the person wanting to use HDMI, I have no advice. I havent used HDMI on my card at all.

If this ends up working, and well, for that matter either way I am very grateful. Thank you Sargent, you've helped point me in the right direction to a fix even if this doesn't work. But so far, it's a hell of a lot better than before :thumbup:

Thanks for your help. I know about CCC, but I forgot to use it. In the end I just started from scratch because i found that the best way to start. I have to install the Quadro 4000 drivers when I get back to my computer, then I will try this fix and post if it works. Other then this, sound and my PS2 keyboard are my only issue with my fresh install (ALC888 audio). Those can wait, this is more important in my opinion.

Freeze 10mn after boot...

Bidule200 said:
Freeze 10mn after boot...

I actually have a freeze about 1-2 times a day, for about 10 hours of use...

System was installed with chimera 1.3 and multibeast 3.6:
nvidia driver installed ver 1.6.34.13 (256.02.05f01)

Tried the video loop, the wallsaver, macpro3,1 still freeze or KP.
Tried also change device id at agpm...kext to 0e22, same still freeze or KP randomly,
Tried also pci bus to 100mhz, change definition to macpro5,1 at agpm...kext, idle state from 250 to 0, also device id 0e22 at nvhal...kext, same crash and KP plus bonus of novabench graphic score drop to 50+, before is 1002.

Yess this gtx 460 is really crappy.

And yess my problem is now permanently fixed by changing the card to 5770.

yuenwidjaja said:
System was installed with chimera 1.3 and multibeast 3.6:
nvidia driver installed ver 1.6.34.13 (256.02.05f01)

Tried the video loop, the wallsaver, macpro3,1 still freeze or KP.
Tried also change device id at agpm...kext to 0e22, same still freeze or KP randomly,
Tried also pci bus to 100mhz, change definition to macpro5,1 at agpm...kext, idle state from 250 to 0, also device id 0e22 at nvhal...kext, same crash and KP plus bonus of novabench graphic score drop to 50+, before is 1002.

Yess this gtx 460 is really crappy.

And yess my problem is now permanently fixed by changing the card to 5770.

I'm also considering to replace my card (GTX 460).
Any suggestions to which card I should replace with besides 5770?
Does ATI 4670 512MB works well?

Thanks

applied the fix and so far it's working pretty good. The only deviation from the OP is that I made the mod for MacPro4,1 instead of MacPro5,1. I also had to delete AppleMyDE<something> kext to get the machine to boot in MacPro4,1 instead of MacPro3,1.

The machine is up over night w/ no KP. Will keep it running.

[Edit] It KPed so I also edit the HAL100.kext and will continue to test.

current uptime is 11 hours and 20 minutes.

Grooby said:
applied the fix and so far it's working pretty good. The only deviation from the OP is that I made the mod for MacPro4,1 instead of MacPro5,1. I also had to delete AppleMyDE<something> kext to get the machine to boot in MacPro4,1 instead of MacPro3,1.

The machine is up over night w/ no KP. Will keep it running.

[Edit] It KPed so I also edit the HAL100.kext and will continue to test.

current uptime is 11 hours and 20 minutes.

Does your display with gtx 460 seems fluid when showing dashboard, all windows, and expose? Mine was seems laggy and in sometimes working fluidly. gt 240 also have this laggy sometimes. However this does not occured in 8500gt 8600gt or ati/amd cards.

yup! very fluid over 2 monitors. Portal was playing fine also.

Grooby said:
yup! very fluid over 2 monitors. Portal was playing fine also.

I have just redo the fix:

I copy the original agpm...kext and nvhal100...kext from other computer and edited the agpm...kext. Inside the agpm...kext I duplicate entries of macpro 4,1 to macpro 3,1 so there will be entries of macpro3,1 macpro4,1 and macpro5,1 inside the agpm...kext. I change the device id to 0e22 at the macpro3,1. I change the idle to 0 as well.

Then I run multibeast to change my system definition to macpro3,1. And set at the bios pci frequecy to 100.

So far 6 hrs no crash or KP. The first few hours the dashboard and expose animation seems a bit laggy but after 2-3 hrs now is fluid.

Crossing my fingers and waiting for the crash and KP. I will update again.

Yes so far more than 24 hrs no freeze and KP. Thank u for the fix ! :D

EDIT :

After 2x24 hrs got KP again :oops:

Thanks for the fix! Seems very stable after maybe 10 hours of use.
I did a fresh install and update to 10.6.7 with iboot and multibeast 3.6.0.

Everything works great except now I can't reboot after shutting down (or choosing restart)
from mac os x!! Shutting down (or restarting) from os does the job, but after restart ,when the Chameleon-2.0-RC5 prerelease (installed from multibeast 3.6) bootscreen appears with the grey bar, my keyboard stops responding. My system boots to mac os x after that, but very slowly and both my keyboard and mouse won't work! I have to force shutdown with the power button, and then the system boots and works just fine again.

I can do this "force restart" thingy right away when the non-responding chameleon boot screen appears, and it works right after. But is there a way to fix this easily? Any help will be appreciated, thank you!

edit: I noticed that my after the 1st reboot my keyboard doesn't respond at all. I can't even acces bios setting until I force shutdown and boot again! Something in os x shutdown command not working as it should?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back