Contribute
Register

GTX 1060 performance on 10.13 High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bough a new GT 1030 for my CustoMac (not meant for games) and I managed to get the latest web drivers up and running. However I quickly noticed an insane lag which drove me nuts yesterday. I tried the webgl-water test yesterday and could see how the GPU simply locked up for half a seconds nearly every second. I ended up switching back to my iGPU HD630. Today I found by accident an article that saved me.

Here a couple of life saving links:
- (very important one) https://sourceforge.net/p/nvidiagraphicsfixup/tickets/10/
- (life saving script) https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update

So I installed an older version of the web driver `378.10.10.10.25.106` using the script on my 10.13.3 system and that huge performance issue disappeared - well I still can notice a minimal lag in the webgl-water test but it's so minimal that it won't bother me in production. At least I know it was a software issue and I can keep my passive cooled GT 1030 to drive a dual monitor CustoMac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting about using a bit older NVIDIA drivers to fix lags.
Are that problems only running HS or also Sierra? Can it be that for FCPX there is no solution to get the PAscal cards running as fast as they could?
BruxeX bench shows that my RX 460 2 GB runs much faster ( 31 sec) than my friedns GTX 1060 3 GB. (43 sec).
The GTX 1060 is in real (also OpenCL, Metal Geekebench) much (20-50%) faster than my RX 460. We dont understand wy only FCPX is an big problem for the better GTX 1060... ??!!

Are that problems only running HS or also Sierra? Can it be that for FCPX there is no solution to get the PAscal cards running as fast as they could?
BruxeX bench shows that my RX 460 2 GB runs much faster ( 31 sec) than my friedns GTX 1060 3 GB. (43 sec).
The GTX 1060 is in real (also OpenCL, Metal Geekebench) much (30-50%) faster than my RX 460. We dont understand wy only FCPX is an big problem for the better GTX 1060... ??!!

FCPX is optimized for AMD cards. If you're an FCPX user, it's much wiser to stick to AMD. Unless Apple starts including Nvidia graphics in real Macs, it is highly unlikely that we will ever see the same level of optimization for Nvidia.

The GTX 1060 is in real (also OpenCL, Metal Geekebench) much (20-50%) faster than my RX 460. We dont understand wy only FCPX is an big problem for the better GTX 1060... ??!!

It's unfortunate that two issues are getting conflated in this thread, this thread has been for many pages for users experiencing stuttering UIs every since the first version of High Sierra.
This is independent of the (worse?) lag that was introduced with the latest nvidia web drivers (.156+) and is solved by a driver downgrade.
There is still no solution to the original problem.

Yeah, I got here because of the lag introduced by Nvidia .156+. I downgraded to 378.10.10.10.25.106.

I'm happy as a clam now. I have some stuttering still but it is much better and the periods of unresponsiveness (like when switching tabs in Safari) is gone and things are a ton more responsive.

I used this script to downgrade: https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update

Running 10.13.3, Intel 6700k, iMac 17,1 system definition, SSD formatted with AFPS etc.

Yeah, I got here because of the lag introduced by Nvidia .156+. I downgraded to 378.10.10.10.25.106.

I'm happy as a clam now. I have some stuttering still but it is much better and the periods of unresponsiveness (like when switching tabs in Safari) is gone and things are a ton more responsive.

I used this script to downgrade: https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update

Running 10.13.3, Intel 6700k, iMac 17,1 system definition, SSD formatted with AFPS etc.

Worked for me too. Have not tested in detail but loaded youtube and worked without lag

thanks for that pointer!! i was pulling my hair out trying to understand why my 8700k z370 system was so laggy. i am using an ancient video card (GT640) and the latest nvidia web driver is indeed crap. the script downgraded me to 378.10.10.10.25.106 as well and now everything is snappy.

now... if only i could figure out why my 2nd monitor is not working... it's detected and present in the system reports but it's apparently turned off.

It might be a bug of the web driver.

I am using 1080 with a 4k monitor. The Chrome behaves laggy until I closed the hardware acceleration. Same thing happened with my VS Code until I disabled the GPU acceleration.

How to turn on / off the acceleration, please.

I have a request for anyone who has a real Mac with an nVidia GPU that came with it.

ie, 2014 MacBook Pro, 2013 iMac. If you can work with me gather some data for Apple, that would be great. I want to get this issue fixed for everyone and the Hackintosh community will be rewarded as well.

This will greatly help the community. Please let me know.

Hey izo1, thanks for your efforts!

I am struggling since months with high sierra on my macbook pro Late 2013. it has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M.

I had to use gfxcardstatus to force the integrated intel graphic only, because the whole os lags extremly under the GeForce card. I am using high sierra 10.13.3.

Please tell me how i can help you with data gathering.

Hey izo1, thanks for your efforts!

I am struggling since months with high sierra on my macbook pro Late 2013. it has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M.

I had to use gfxcardstatus to force the integrated intel graphic only, because the whole os lags extremly under the GeForce card. I am using high sierra 10.13.3.

Please tell me how i can help you with data gathering.

Can you receive PMs? I will send instructions. It's fairly easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back