Contribute
Register

GTX 1060 performance on 10.13 High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I need to do is install the latest Nvidia drivers(.10.25.156). It seems Nvidia implemented HDMI 4K60 support in those drivers , as it worked immediately after installation without the need for patching or third party software. It's just unfortunate that they messed up just about everything else in those drivers, causing the now infamous lag everyone's facing.

The reason the forum is littered with people stuck at 4K30 is because Nvidia probably hasn't implemented support for it in previous versions of the drivers. People wrongly attribute it to the OS itself and it has become a prevalent bit of misinformation. For the past year, my primary build has been a Skull Canyon NUC connected to dual 4K displays, one of which runs on HDMI at 60Hz without a hiccup.

Cool, would be nice to see, it was a no go on my Radeon RX560, 4k30 no matter what.

Oh well... Fedex just dropped something off with multiple DP ports:

IMG_9814.jpg

To bad my 1070TI will be on ice ... I hope Nvidia sorts all of this out for good sometime soon.

Great, let us know when/how you get it to work then.

The forum is littered with posts of people stuck at 4k30, don't remember seeing anyone, besides you, using 4k60 over HDMI successfully.
I have 4K@60Hz working over HDMI on my GT 1030 (when DP is not connected)
It's stuck at 30Hz when i don't have HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour enabled in monitor settings.

Cool, would be nice to see, it was a no go on my Radeon RX560, 4k30 no matter what.

View attachment 311652

To bad my 1070TI will be on ice ... I hope Nvidia sorts all of this out for good sometime soon.
Would be great to hear if you can run your 1070Ti and RX560 at the same time... No one seems to report on this.

My RX 560 is still being delivered, but now i'm not even sure i need it, since i got 1440p@60Hz HiDPI working on my HD 630

After downgrading Nvidia drivers, the lag is gone. I don't see a need to switch to AMD graphics. Are there any real benefits to making the switch besides FCPX performance?

After downgrading Nvidia drivers, the lag is gone. I don't see a need to switch to AMD graphics. Are there any real benefits to making the switch besides FCPX performance?

If you read this whole topic you'll see that some of us had some stuttering UIs ever since upgrading to the High Sierra, irrespective of subversion or Nvidia web driver version, not just this latest version.

Switching to AMD fixes the stuttering completely.

I returned the 1080ti and am happy with my Sapphire RX 580. It has issues waking my P2715Q monitors but I’ve been informed by dell support that this is a known issue with these monitors and nothing can be done. I confirmed the issue occurs in Windows too. This issue is a small price to pay for an otherwise smooth OS experience. The difference in UI performance between the 1080ti and RX580 is night and day.

View attachment 311652

Have you gotten the PowerColor 580 up and running yet? If so, how would you rate the overall performance / compatibility?

I returned the 1080ti and am happy with my Sapphire RX 580. It has issues waking my P2715Q monitors but I’ve been informed by dell support that this is a known issue with these monitors and nothing can be done. I confirmed the issue occurs in Windows too. This issue is a small price to pay for an otherwise smooth OS experience. The difference in UI performance between the 1080ti and RX580 is night and day.

You may want to try the latest whatevergreen.kext that was released today, it's supposed to address waking issues with certain monitors, it might fix your issue.

Have you gotten the PowerColor 580 up and running yet? If so, how would you rate the overall performance / compatibility?

yes! super simple, lilu + whatevergreen, the only minor issue I had is my second monitor didn't come on but I just moved it to the third DP port (ie, using DP ports 1 & 3) and all is well, dual 4k60. Everything is very smooth, no stuttering whatsoever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back