Contribute
Register

GTX 1060 performance on 10.13 High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone using an AMD card for GUI/System but still running their Nvidia cards for programs such as Resolve and other CUDA processing?

I'm willing to try this this weekend. I always had 2x980Ti's for CUDA (a single Volta GPU would be great in the future)...I had to remove them and use the RX560.

I will leave in the RX560 as the main display driver and try a single 980Ti in the 2nd slot and see if CUDA is being used in Resolve/Premiere/AE/Octane.

So far for me personally the RX560 has been flawless even during heavy workloads. Of course I miss CUDA...

Compared to an nVidia card the RX560 runs like butter and the Hackintosh feels like a real native Mac.

i have the same issue....
macOS 10.13.3 (17D47)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4 GB
motherboard:
Gigabyte z170 gaming
Samsung SSD 750 EVO 500GB

10.13.4 Public Beta is out (as per rules of this forum, Public Beta's are ok to talk about).

Are you willing to give it a shot?

You can clone your current drive and test it out.

I will give it a shot this weekend.

I'm willing to try this this weekend. I always had 2x980Ti's for CUDA (a single Volta GPU would be great in the future)...I had to remove them and use the RX560.

I will leave in the RX560 as the main display driver and try a single 980Ti in the 2nd slot and see if CUDA is being used in Resolve/Premiere/AE/Octane.

So far for me personally the RX560 has been flawless even during heavy workloads. Of course I miss CUDA...

Compared to an nVidia card the RX560 runs like butter and the Hackintosh feels like a real native Mac.
Very interested if this setup works. I'd hate to lose my 1080Ti in Resolve.

Are you using DisplayPort? macOS doesn't support 4K@60Hz over HDMI.
I know this isn't really related, but I tried pming and I didn't see the option to.
Have you been having any issues at all with your 1080? The 1060 is known for having wake from sleep issues and I'm thinking about switching.

I know this isn't really related, but I tried pming and I didn't see the option to.
Have you been having any issues at all with your 1080? The 1060 is known for having wake from sleep issues and I'm thinking about switching.

On macOS 10.13.0-10.13.2, I had no problems at all with my GTX 1080. On 10.13.3, I'm experiencing major lags. Sleep/wake was never an issue.

On macOS 10.13.0-10.13.2, I had no problems at all with my GTX 1080. On 10.13.3, I'm experiencing major lags. Sleep/wake was never an issue.
Thank you for the response.

I wonder if it's an OS issue on Apple's end or a driver issue on Nvidia's end.

Thank you for the response.

I wonder if it's an OS issue on Apple's end or a driver issue on Nvidia's end.

Seeing as how the previous version of the Nvidia web drivers works fine on 10.13.3, I'm inclined the believe that Nvidia made some change in their latest drivers to cause the lags.

Just sharing my experience.
The latest web driver had really bad performance for me;
System:
Gigabyte aorus gaming 7
i7 8700k
gigabyte 1080ti
gc-alpine-ridge
dual monitor setup

Downgrading to 378.10.10.10.25.106 improved performance a lot, but I still have microstutter/lag occurring about every second which makes the system unusable.

Apple makes NVIDIA-based macs more and more unusable. same for 10.13.3 :(

Last edited:
I have the same issues on 10.13.3 with GTX 750 Ti and WebDrivers (387.10.10.10.25.156). The experience with Chrome based apps is awful. What's interesting is that there are other reports about graphics related issues even with real Macs that have second Nvidia GPU on Chrome dev forum, so it's safe to assume that the problem is on Apple side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back