Contribute
Register

GTX 1060 performance on 10.13 High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
pastrychef, hi. Have 2013 Late Macbook Pro with Nvidia GT650 Onboard and integrated hd4000 graphics. Here real difference between using NVidia and Intel graphics(using gfxCardStatus to switch) - with Intel everything runs smooth, with Nvidia - no. Something wrong with Nvidia and Metal technology graphics. Many users have this issues. I think ˜100% Nvidia users have it. All nvidia macs what i have seen have it too

pastrychef, hi. Have 2013 Late Macbook Pro with Nvidia GT650 Onboard and integrated hd4000 graphics. Here real difference between using NVidia and Intel graphics(using gfxCardStatus to switch) - with Intel everything runs smooth, with Nvidia - no. Something wrong with Nvidia and Metal technology graphics. Many users have this issues. I think ˜100% Nvidia users have it. All nvidia macs what i have seen have it too

I spent about 3-4 hours with a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse yesterday and, honestly, I didn't notice any less lag or more smoothness using it when compared to my GTX 1080. In fact, I saw some lag with the RX 580 when using Mission Control that I never saw with my GTX 1080.

I'll try with a GT 630 or GT 640 later today to see if I can replicate what you guys are talking about.

Last edited:
Here is a video of a passively cooled GT 630 in my HP Elite 8300 running on High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C205) and the built-in macOS drivers.

https://mab.to/PYLN6Ch4w

Here is a video of the same computer with my GTX 745 using the Nvidia web drivers. It's a Maxwell card so built-in drivers is not an option.

https://mab.to/nxg7eUeXu

In both instances, I was unable to notice any lag...

*Both links will expire after 3 days.

Here is a video of a passively cooled GT 630 in my HP Elite 8300 running on High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C205) and the built-in macOS drivers.

https://mab.to/PYLN6Ch4w

Here is a video of the same computer with my GTX 745 using the Nvidia web drivers. It's a Maxwell card so built-in drivers is not an option.

https://mab.to/nxg7eUeXu

In both instances, I was unable to notice any lag...

*Both links will expire after 3 days.

Thanks for these. This raises the question, does a screen recording also look laggy (compared to a video record with a phone or something)?
On my system it was very noticeable scrolling through the dock with zooming turned on, as I mentioned before and echoed by others, the problem gets progressively worse over time, it's not always readily apparent after rebooting.
I will put my 1070TI back this weekend and make a video and a screen recording, compare and share here.

It seems the people who explicitly don't have problems (you and vulgo) have some/extensive DSDT/SSDT patches or replacements. For one, I've only renamed my ACPI graphics device to GFX0 after I switched to the Radeon, I should try the Nvidia again with some of these changes. I really wonder if ASPM is playing a part in this problem....

Thanks for these. This raises the question, does a screen recording also look laggy (compared to a video record with a phone or something)?
On my system it was very noticeable scrolling through the dock with zooming turned on, as I mentioned before and echoed by others, the problem gets progressively worse over time, it's not always readily apparent after rebooting.
I will put my 1070TI back this weekend and make a video and a screen recording, compare and share here.

It seems the people who explicitly don't have problems (you and vulgo) have some/extensive DSDT/SSDT patches or replacements. For one, I've only renamed my ACPI graphics device to GFX0 after I switched to the Radeon, I should try the Nvidia again with some of these changes. I really wonder if ASPM is playing a part in this problem....

Those two videos were made on my HP Elite 8300. The only SSDT I had was the one made by ssdtprgen. It wasn't until about an hour ago that I added a DSDT to get audio work properly.

On the three hacks that I've had, I've never had to mess with ASPM. I do, however, try to use Clover's DSDT patching to rename as many devices to what macOS expects as possible.

On the three hacks that I've had, I've never had to mess with ASPM. I do, however, try to use Clover's DSDT patching to rename as many devices to what macOS expects as possible.

me neither but like everyone else here, things worked just fine up to and including Sierra, High Sierra changed many things.

I spent about 3-4 hours with a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse yesterday and, honestly, I didn't notice any less lag or more smoothness using it when compared to my GTX 1080. In fact, I saw some lag with the RX 580 when using Mission Control that I never saw with my GTX 1080.

I'll try with a GT 630 or GT 640 later today to see if I can replicate what you guys are talking about.

What are you doing to do these tests?

Please open Photoshop, Illustrator and Premiere Pro and make sure they are all using the GPU. Do some heavy workloads in those applications.

While you have them open, open another WebGL demo in Google Chrome (make sure hardware acceleration is on).

Keep using these apps over and over watch the VRAM fill up in iStat Menu. These are real world scenarios. I don't think anyone runs macOS with just a safari window open and nothing else. Some of us have 10 core systems in the works for macOS High Sierra and have higher end parts.

On fresh boot nVidia runs smooth but over a very very short period of time it starts to lag.

A reboot fixes it for a minute, but when you're doing work every day on macOS, nVidia GPU is useless in High Sierra for now.

I'm on iGPU doing same exact tasks as before and everything is smooth. I can't get my second monitor to work but that's ok for now. I'm moving to a RX580 until Apple fixes this.

I will let people know here that Apple is aware of this, and they are doing some tests at the moment. I hope a fix makes it into .3

FYI I have a clone SSD with Sierra installed and it runs PERFECT on this same exact hardware.

Last edited:
I'm telling you. I'm just not seeing any of the lag you keep talking about. I typically leave my main system up for weeks at a time between reboots. The only times I reboot are to test something and/or if some software install requires it.

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 2.18.16 PM.png

I'm telling you. I'm just not seeing any of the lag you keep talking about. I typically leave my main system up for weeks at a time between reboots. The only times I reboot are to test something and/or if some software install requires it.

one thing: users reports for HS stability with NVIDIA have a 4k-display. You have 4k too, as i can see. @kgp, for exapmple uses 4k-display and reports no issues too. if it not a second display - everything runs smooth.

look to this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8141739?start=0&tstart=0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back