Contribute
Register

GTX 1060 performance on 10.13 High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha nah what i mean is, i've been having the same issues with a GTX 1080ti as the people in this thread. It's not a 1060 problem, i believe (people seem to agree) its a 10.13.X + Nvidia Driver issue.
The drivers work fine here. Better than ever on 10.13, probably down to the Metal improvements (GTX 970). Those experiencing problems might post I/O reg reports or useful logs.

Last edited:
The drivers work fine here. Better than ever on 10.13, probably down to the Metal improvements (GTX 970). Those experiencing problems might post I/O reg reports or useful logs.

Hit or a miss with Maxwell cards it seems, I had nothing but trouble with my GTX970:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/logs-out-windowserver-crashing-randomly.240230/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/windowserver-crash-nvidia-web-driver.236052/

there's a thread over on Nvidia's forums too about this problem.

I got ZOTAC GTX 1080 TI AMP and got the same issues while using scaled resolution on my 4K monitor (1440p). After switching to 2160p everything works great, however this is not a viable solution for me as everything is way to small :(

I got ZOTAC GTX 1080 TI AMP and got the same issues while using scaled resolution on my 4K monitor (1440p). After switching to 2160p everything works great, however this is not a viable solution for me as everything is way to small :(

really interesting observation, though I wonder if that's entirely true given that the problem usually gets worse as time goes on, initially after a reboot it's not that noticeable, I imagine the same when switching resolution and maybe resetting hardware in the process?

Is there a link to the thread?

links to external sites seems to be frowned upon here.. look for thread named "Issue w/ High Sierra 10.13.1"

links to external sites seems to be frowned upon here.. look for thread named "Issue w/ High Sierra 10.13.1"
I think most of these problems are configuration related where the only or main card is only supported via Nvidia's driver (which being restricted to a single OS version means you end up booting with 2 very different display configurations). Changes in 10.13 make problems for these setups that we've seen since the first 10.13.0 web driver release, maybe things will improve (they seem to have since those early High Sierra days) but i expect the focus of development (and here's a possible cause of the issues) is the external GPU support - there is now (or will be very soon) a supported configuration for running these cards for the first time in years.

really? for example, can u fullscreen any of youtube video? it's not jumpy? So weird
i have single 1440p 27" display, but issues continious also w/ Macbook Pro Retina late 2013 with GT650M NVIDIA card. Switching out from GT650 to Intel HD via gfxCardStatus is a way to solve it.

I think most of these problems are configuration related where the only or main card is only supported via Nvidia's driver (which being restricted to a single OS version means you end up booting with 2 very different display configurations). Changes in 10.13 make problems for these setups that we've seen since the first 10.13.0 web driver release, maybe things will improve (they seem to have since those early High Sierra days) but i expect the focus of development (and here's a possible cause of the issues) is the external GPU support - there is now (or will be very soon) a supported configuration for running these cards for the first time in years.

I think that makes sense for Nvidia, get their foot in the door again - they haven't been getting any action in authentic apple hardware for a while now I believe?
Either way, I'm curious to see your config.plist if you can share? Also, do you have any custom DSDT/SSDT outside of clover patching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back