Contribute
Register

GTX 1060 performance on 10.13 High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this has been covered but here's my tuppence worth. I've been using a GTX760 for a year in my Hack which I thought was an OOB solution. Never used web drivers and throughout Sierra it worked a treat. When I upgraded to High Sierra though I noticed a definite slowdown in the interface, not obvious but definitely there. Jerky window resizing, system slowdowns and bad stuttering in the WebGL Water test which was becoming increasingly annoying. After discovering this thread I thought I'd buy and bung in an AMD Radeon RX560. Never had a Radeon before as I've always used Nvidia. I fitted it this morning an was expecting it to not be straightforward. More than pleasantly surprised that all it needed was RadeonDeInit in the config plist and it fired up fine with my two monitor set up. The difference was noticeable straight away despite the Radeon being a supposedly inferior card. Much smoother and nippier interface with no window resizing lags and no stuttering in the WebGL Water test. All seems good so far but will continue to monitor to see if it stays that way. The only minor point I have noticed is that the card is not recognised properly in about this Mac. Perhaps changing the system serial number to a 17.1 from a 14.2 might fix this but as iMessage is working perfectly at the moment I'm happy to live with as I don't wanna mess it up. A bit more reading leads me to believe that Frame Buffers is the cause of the unidentified card. Only cosmetic though.

Attachments

• Screenshot at Feb 04 10-39-58.png
    Screenshot at Feb 04 10-39-58.png
    28 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I'm having the same issue as well on a totally new build with an MSI GTX 1060 and an iMac 18,3 SMBIOS. Stuttering gets so annoying that some apps are rendered unusable. Even YouTube in Safari stutters when resizing windows.

I have tried all possible solutions to no avail. It's definitely a driver issue.

I'm having one persistent issue after downgrading to web driver 378.10.10.25.106 (and .104 as well). While the lag has completely disappeared, I'm not able to drive my second monitor (connected through HDMI) at 60hz without getting a black screen. The monitor is still detected by the system but is completely black.

When I turn off UHD color in the monitor settings, which takes it down to 30Hz, it works. This was not an issue in the latest web driver. Anyone have any idea of a possible workaround?

4k60hz over HDMI is not supported in OS X

4k60hz over HDMI is not supported in OS X

That's definitely not the case. Even on my Skull Canyon NUC with a meager Iris Pro 580, I get 4K 60hz through HDMI with no issues. As my post said, with the latest Nvidia drivers, 4K@60hz was working without any patches, albeit with the insane lag. So it's definitely a driver issue as well.

The idea that MacOS does not support 4K over HDMI is fundamentally incorrect. HDMI is a hardware protocol. If the GPU AND the driver support it, it'll work.

I think I have the same issue using 1080 TI and latest nvidia web drivers. It seems overall smooth but stutters occasionally esp. when showing dock or resizing windows.
Did you fix it ?

As reported before, i’m also seeing regular mini-freezes / lags in the UI on a Gigabyte gtx 1080 ti.
I've attached a video of the webgl water demo.

Extra info:
- Coffeelake i7 8700k , Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7 mobo
- Note that the video is based with webdriver .104 (the latest nvidia webdriver had real bad performance issues on my system)
- same stutter issue happens on Sierra, with an older webdriver. although the lags seem to be more subtle, they happen at similar intervals
- i have tried different CLOVER folders, with different kexts, SSDTs, different drivers, etc
- also tried disabling internal GPU

No luck so far though

Attachments

• hackintosh_lag.mp4.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 140
As reported before, i’m also seeing regular mini-freezes / lags in the UI on a Gigabyte gtx 1080 ti.
I've attached a video of the webgl water demo.
Experiencing exact same stutter as your video. Running EVGA GTX 1080 Ti. Needless to say in Windows 10 Water Demo works flawlessly.

Was anyone who switched to an AMD card able to still run an Nvidia card as well and get CUDA benefits. Would be interested if a dual setup would work and simple solution would be purchasing a low/mid AMD card while keeping Nvidia for heavy lifts in Premiere and Resolve.

Last edited:
That's definitely not the case. Even on my Skull Canyon NUC with a meager Iris Pro 580, I get 4K 60hz through HDMI with no issues. As my post said, with the latest Nvidia drivers, 4K@60hz was working without any patches, albeit with the insane lag. So it's definitely a driver issue as well.

The idea that MacOS does not support 4K over HDMI is fundamentally incorrect. HDMI is a hardware protocol. If the GPU AND the driver support it, it'll work.

Great, let us know when/how you get it to work then.

The forum is littered with posts of people stuck at 4k30, don't remember seeing anyone, besides you, using 4k60 over HDMI successfully.

Great, let us know when/how you get it to work then.

The forum is littered with posts of people stuck at 4k30, don't remember seeing anyone, besides you, using 4k60 over HDMI successfully.

All I need to do is install the latest Nvidia drivers(.10.25.156). It seems Nvidia implemented HDMI 4K60 support in those drivers , as it worked immediately after installation without the need for patching or third party software. It's just unfortunate that they messed up just about everything else in those drivers, causing the now infamous lag everyone's facing.

The reason the forum is littered with people stuck at 4K30 is because Nvidia probably hasn't implemented support for it in previous versions of the drivers. People wrongly attribute it to the OS itself and it has become a prevalent bit of misinformation. For the past year, my primary build has been a Skull Canyon NUC connected to dual 4K displays, one of which runs on HDMI at 60Hz without a hiccup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back