Contribute
Register

GTX 1060 performance on 10.13 High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't see how Apple can be blamed for Nvidia's drivers.

This happens on real Macs with nVidia GPUs, like 2014 MacBook Pro and 2013 iMacs which are still officially supported by Apple and in High Sierra.

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro here and same thing happens in High Sierra as it does on the Hackintosh with an nVidia GPU. Sierra worked perfectly.

Those drivers are from Apple, no? Doesn't Apple make AMD and nVidia drivers?

Ahoy all.
Just built a new CustoMac Pro with all the recommendations on the Buyer's Guide. I wish I had known about this Nvidia issue before paying so much for my GPU (and throwing away the box :'(
I would have gotten a different GPU if I had known.

Since this is such a huge issue right now, maybe it would be best not to recommend the 1080 on the Buyer's Guide. Or maybe include a warning about this issue?

makes you wonder why these cards are on the buyer's guide and how much testing the buyer's guide items are seeing....

Hi Guys,

So after about three months of struggling with my 1060-Gaming1 in High Sierra and getting nowhere. Seemed like no one else had the same problem – random log-outs when under load, frozen black screen with white cursor upon wake, Illustrator quitting on my the whole time, and this weird Metal crash log. I gave up and installed an AMD 570 today.

The 1060 worked fine in Sierra, and a 1050 I had worked fine in HS (but I needed two DP for my 4k monitors).

So I think we're looking at the 1060 as a bum card/driver mix. Shame. Onto eBay it goes. and I'll probably need a very good reason to go back to Nividia.

AMD install was easy. Uninstalled Nividia Drivers/Cuda, removed all Nvidia install references in Clover Configurator. Removed NividiaGraphicFixUp.kext, added WhateverGreen.kext (kept Lilu) and ticked RadeonDelnit (whatever that is) in Clover Config, and all fine. Sleep works at last!

I'll keep looking out for driver updates on this issue, but I got burnt by the 1060 and I probably ain't going back.

Where did you even find a 570 in stock? 570+ and Vegas just seems out of stock everywhere .. damn miners. I resorted to a 560 (sad to see my 1070 TI sitting in the box), it's fine for the most part, except 4k@30hz over HDMI for my second monitor. It also tends to freeze on some video tasks, especially iMovie and sometimes slack video calls.

I don't have any Nvidia issues, everything working smoother than ever on 10.13

This happens on real Macs with nVidia GPUs, like 2014 MacBook Pro and 2013 iMacs which are still officially supported by Apple and in High Sierra.

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro here and same thing happens in High Sierra as it does on the Hackintosh with an nVidia GPU. Sierra worked perfectly.

Those drivers are from Apple, no? Doesn't Apple make AMD and nVidia drivers?

Are we here discussing the use of the built-in drivers or Nvidia's web drivers? I haven't seen any complaints on this thread from users of Kepler cards using Apple's built-in drivers.

If you buy high performance brakes for your car and they don't perform as expected, do you complain to the car manufacturer or do you complain to the guys who made the brakes?

makes you wonder why these cards are on the buyer's guide and how much testing the buyer's guide items are seeing....

I think people came off of decent support from Sierra and High Sierra issues weren't found out yet when it was released.

It's definitely a big problem on real Macs as well, it's all over the web.

Are we here discussing the use of the built-in drivers or Nvidia's web drivers? I haven't seen any complaints on this thread from users of Kepler cards using Apple's built-in drivers.

If you buy high performance brakes for your car and they don't perform as expected, do you complain to the car manufacturer or do you complain to the guys who made the brakes?

Yes, built-in drivers have issues as well. I don't even think nVidia does anything to it's drivers from version to version (like fix bugs) for WebDrivers...they just change the version number so it's compatible with a current macOS build number.

I don't understand what your analogy is about, but there is an issue from Apple regarding nVidia performance in general. You don't buy a GPU separately in an iMac or a MacBook Pro. Those are built in and Apple is responsible for it's poor performance, not the GPU manufacturer.

May I introduce you to:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/any-news-about-the-macbook-pro-nvidia-gpu-lag-yet.2088300/
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8160556
https://discussions.apple.com/message/32562903#32562903
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8204377
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...uda-driver-absolutely-unacceptable-by-nvidia/

I could go on....

Yes, built-in drivers have issues as well. I don't even think nVidia does anything to it's drivers from version to version (like fix bugs) for WebDrivers...they just change the version number so it's compatible with a current macOS build number.

I don't understand what your analogy is about, but there is an issue from Apple regarding nVidia performance in general. You don't buy a GPU separately in an iMac or a MacBook Pro. Those are built in and Apple is responsible for it's poor performance, not the GPU manufacturer.

Did you read the content on those links or are you just randomly grabbing links and throwing them at me?

I read up to the second page and the issue was resolved.

This is a single person complaining.

Another individual complaining.

This guy is using Nvidia web drivers.

This is a Cuda thread.

As far as I can tell, the majority of the complaints on the Apple forum are from the same two guys, edjonesy and Nicolas Online. It hardly seems like a wide spread issue among real Macs with Apple's built-in drivers.

Do you have a real Mac?

I have 3 right next to me.

All of them have nVidia GPUs. iMac, MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro (with a 980Ti, WebDrivers...which I will ignore for now since you think this is WebDriver related).

I can tell you right now this is Apple related. However, you also chose to not google around for similar threads due to confirmation bias. I'm too lazy to dig up ****** links as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back