GeForce GTX-770
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So after long time of admiring the mods I am seeing on posts, I finally decided to mod one for myself as well.

I do not expect this to finish to soon but this is the idea really. I am very busy lately (two jobs and school) but I really need something to enjoy to breath every once in a while.. And the best option is modding :)

So I bought a G5 case and I am trying to decide what to do. I am currently in planning phase but I did start stripping her off. Here we go..

I think theres almost 100 screws to be taken off :)

I unscrew them all and I had difficulty to remove the front optical bay door, when I finally took it off the final screw was reachable.. But it just wont come off and no matter how much I forced without damaging anything it just didnt come off.. I need to find some way to get rid off that bugger.

I have a friend who is a bicycle manufacturer so I will have access to all sorts of painting options here..

I am open to any color config suggestions.

I will order a full ATX with PSU backplate and mobo tray from Laser Hive tomorrow.

orig_front.jpgorig_back.jpgorig_inside.jpgorig_side1.jpgorig_top.jpgbugger.jpgorig_empty1.jpgorig_empty2.jpgorig_screws.jpg

I just finished modding my first G5. Dave at The Laser Hive, is really great, and helped me with all sorts of little things. Building it was really a blast. I planned on taking the slow route and working on it slowly, but once I started it just took off.

Have fun :thumbup:

I just finished modding my first G5. Dave at The Laser Hive, is really great, and helped me with all sorts of little things. Building it was really a blast. I planned on taking the slow route and working on it slowly, but once I started it just took off.

Have fun :thumbup:

Yes its always like that, once you start it you really can wait to go one step further as quickly as possible...

Thanks!

BTW.. Still couldn't get the bugger screw off :silent:

Bugger is gone...

4 of the riveted bolts on the cover came off.. 2 were already faulty and corners were not holding well when I bought the case..

Do you think steel epoxy will hold them in place? So that I can use original screws in whole case.. Or should I find another solution?

Well its now time for mockups and play with colours...

orange_black.png

I think black and red are great together but that is becoming so common lately.. Still easiest scheme to find cables etc. Below setup is more logical imho. No need to cut the top, hiding cables in upper compartment will be easier and a fan controller can be placed where the optical drive was.
red_black.png

red_black_with_mesh.png

orange_black_with_mesh.png

I will still suggest putting single rad at the back fan mount of the case to let the hot air exit immediately.

I was planning Gold and Black before as my paint but it's also hard to find parts that has gold color so I went with the Black combined with the original color of the G5 'coz it will be easier to put pc components with different colors that will much any motherboard that I will have.

For now, I'll be using my Asus Maximus Viii Gene which is a gunmetal grey? and a bit of red combination.

I am really excited to get my newly painted case.

But I was really lucky that I bought my G5 in a very good condition, no dents and not that much visible scratches. I just really like the inner case to be black...

I will still suggest putting single rad at the back fan mount of the case to let the hot air exit immediately.

I was planning Gold and Black before as my paint but it's also hard to find parts that has gold color so I went with the Black combined with the original color of the G5 'coz it will be easier to put pc components with different colors that will much any motherboard that I will have.

For now, I'll be using my Asus Maximus Viii Gene which is a gunmetal grey? and a bit of red combination.

I am really excited to get my newly painted case.

But I was really lucky that I bought my G5 in a very good condition, no dents and not that much visible scratches. I just really like the inner case to be black...

Black and silver go so well and classy together I must agree..

About placing the H80i on the rear.. I still did not decide that.. In my current setup its sitting at the rear but then it is very tight fit and blocking the view of most of the mATX mobo..

There is still too long to come to that point but the decision will effect the design for cable management and SSD placement.. I plan to use 2 SSDs and 3 2,5 HDDs in this build..

Thanks for that bro. :)

a friend of mine told me also that putting rads in front will not increase the temp. He is now using 360rad in front of his Phanteks and 240 at the top. but temp is really good because it's custom loop. AIO Cooler is a different issue i guess.

In my previous build, i didn't mount in the front bracket my h80i coz it's really hot. I guess it cannot handle my overclocked Xeon W3680 to 4.4-4.6ghz and reached mostly 70c+ or 80c if I can remember. My gtx970 temp is around 60c+ only but i think it also gives hot air for my overall inner case temp. I am also worried with the overall temp of the motherboard.

Also I placed my HDD Cage in front that's why I put the h80i at the back as exhaust.

But... Now on my second build... I will be using front:360rad & bottom:240rad OR front:240rad & bottom: 360rad. taking cold air from outside. but it's a custom loop so most probably it will be a different scenario. and I need to plan the area for my storage devices also.

I already sold my gtx 970 and just borrowed dual sli 780 from my friend which will probably make it more hotter inside like I am experiencing now with my temporary pandora case. It's really hot. my skylake cpu reached 93c with a stock cooler. and the sli 780 highest is 84c? XD

I will check the temps once I'm done with my new build. just received now my painted G5 parts :D

sorry for the long rep especially on the thread of Gino hehehe!

Gino...take time on your build don't do the same on my first build that I was rushing 'coz of a deadline... i updated my G5 coz i found so many things I want to change on my first build.

Thanks for that bro. :)

sorry for the long rep especially on the thread of Gino hehehe!

Gino...take time on your build don't do the same on my first build that I was rushing 'coz of a deadline... i updated my G5 coz i found so many things I want to change on my first build.

No worries Void :D

And yes I am taking my time currently.. But its like "I cant concentrate on anything else but this build" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back