Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5
CPU
Intel Core i7 3930k
Graphics
ASUS ENGT520
ga-x79-ud5, i7 3930k, Asus GT520

took me lots of troubleshooting but finally after installing this :: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver.html :: I have a solid boot and signal on one monitor coming off the DVI port.

my second monitor I have is a VGA input, so I got a HDMI -> VGA adapter. Doesn't work as dual monitors, and when I booted with just the HDMI - VGA, I get the American Megatrends logo, the apple boot screen with spinning gear, then a black screen - monitor is getting signal (not a "no signal" black screen) but just nothing there. So it seems the port works and the adapter works, but somehow the signal from the OS is not working.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

booted with the HDMI adapter again and gave it a minute, and sure enough after a minute or two the signal came up and looked good.

Also tried that monitor through a DVI-VGA adapter and it booted perfectly.

So the primary issue seems to be getting two monitors happening, not the functionality of that HDMI port or adapter.

Meant to say in the first post that I'm running GraphicsEnabler=Yes and npci=0x3000.

Thanks.

I'm a total newbie to Hacks so I have some questions about where to go next for troubleshooting:

- I have 6 sticks of RAM and the OS complains on every boot that they're not inserted correctly. Will fixing the RAM setup have any effect on the graphics issues?

- I could get an HDMI - DVI adapter and run the DVI monitor through the HDMI and the VGA monitor through the DVI port with an adapter. But to me that's the same as HDMI-VGA and DVi-DVI - but is it worth trying?

- I could also obviously just get a new graphics card - looking at the GT640 as an option that should work out of the box.

- any settings I need to verify or change in the BIOS? Can I just hit <delete> at the American Megatrends logo to get into BIOS?

- Did those NVIDIA drivers I linked to below replace my kexts? If so, I should be able to just plug in a new graphics card and roll, with no special kexts required, right? Or did that download put files elsewhere and I'm still running off the latest version of the 520 kexts I downloaded?

THANKS in advance for help!

scrounged up the necessary adapters and can't get dual monitors in any combination of adapters or monitors. Get an apple logo, then "no signal" on any monitors.

HELP!

thanks!

VGA isn't supported by apple anymore.

Some people seem to get it to work but most have problems. even with adaptors. Your gonna need a new monitor with DVi/HDMI input.

well I knew I couldn't use that VGA port, but you're saying the VGA monitor itself could be an issue even though the OS will boot to it alone?

I'm happy to get a new monitor, plus it's cheaper than another graphics card, but just confirming that it's worth a trip to best buy.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back