Contribute
Register

GT 740 not being recognized in El Capitan, out of ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GEForce GT740 4GB DDR5
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all! First time building a Hackintosh, and all was going well, but now I've hit a wall trying to make my GPU work out. Everything else seems to be working just fine!

Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
i7-4790K
NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GT 740 4GB GDDR5

I've installed OS X 10.11.3, with Clover, put the Multibeast kexts and all that on my computer. But when I try to boot I get the apple logo and a loading bar, and then at the point when the login screen would normally load my monitor just goes into Power-Saving Mode and I have to force the PC to shut down via the front button. I can get into OS X just fine using bootflag nv_disable=1, albeit with crazy colorful static glitches, and I can see that the GPU isn't actually being detected, all it says is "NVIDIA Chip Model 8 MB", and in the Driver Manager under ECC there are no devices detected.

I've double-checked the GPU itself and it's seated in the motherboard properly. I've installed the latest web-drivers for my GPU, and uninstalled them and reinstalled them, but whether I use them or use the OS X drivers doesn't seem to make any difference. In fact whenever I turn the NVIDIA drivers back on it puts the bootload nvda_drv=1 back in by itself like it's supposed to! I've switched between a couple system definitions with Multibeast but they don't seem to make a difference either, in fact 3,1 seems to work the best right now. I've also tried bootflags InjectNvidia=True and GraphicsEnabler=Yes, as well as InjectNvidia=False and GraphicsEnabler=No even though I assume that's how it is by default, just to see if any would work, but no good. Everything that doesn't work just makes my monitor go to Power-Saver Mode.

I haven't read about many problems at all with my GPU, so I'm actually wondering if it's some silly problem with like, my monitor cable, which is an HDMI cable connected to a DVI-D converter thing plugged into my GPU. I'm waiting on an actual HDMI / DVI-D cable to be delivered so I can see if that does anything different, also waiting for an HDMI / MiniHDMI cable so I can try that. My monitor is a Dell UltraSharp U2415, for thoroughness' sake.

I have not fiddled with the BIOS (UEFI) at all since prepping for install, nor any config or plist files. While I'm waiting for those cables, can anyone offer any help???? It would be much appreciated!!!

Many GDDR5 versions of the GT 740 require the Nvidia Web Drivers.

• Set your system profile to iMac14,2.
  • Install the web drivers for 10.11.3.
  • Add the boot flag nvda_drv=1
  • Turn off Nvidia injection by setting Graphics/Injection/NVidia/False in your config.plist. InjectNvidia=False is not a boot flag and GraphicsEnabler=No is not for Clover.

Done, double-checked everything, still a no-go unfortunately.

It was adding itself as a temporary boot flag each time actually, but it never worked, I was still having to use nv_disable=1. HOWEVER today I got my actual HDMI to DVI-D cable and booted normally, with nvda_drv=1 added automatically still, and the GPU is properly detected now! However, now I have a different graphical problem (which was happening before but to a much worse degree) of colorful static in some places, such as all over the OS X login screen, and in youtube videos, replacing the vids and making stuff unwatchable. In fact, it looks just like this gentleman's graphical problem:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/187153-el-capitan-graphics-glitch-boot-some-apps.html

I suppose now I'll add nvda_drv=1 to the config.plist, at least.

EDIT: I should add: I appreciate the help so far! I solved the initial problem with the cable but I've still learned about stuff I was doing wrong, so thanks!

EDIT 2: Sorry for the weird small edits, but I added nvda_drv=1 to my config.plist, and the weird graphical stuff has gone away for the most part. I feel like it might still pop up in some places, since the first time I start a Youtube vid upon booting it still has the graphics error, but if I refresh it goes away and runs fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back