Contribute
Register

Grey screen with mouse pointer when installer starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4
CPU
i7-12700k
Graphics
RX590
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Trying to set up OpenCore 0.7.6 on a USB stick to install Monterey on my Alder Lake system. When I boot the USB stick with debugging enabled I just get a message stating "OCB: System has no boot entries", and the system halts.

I created the USB stick with this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-z690-aero-g-i5-12600k-amd-rx-6800-xt.317179/

Also, under the Misc page of OC Configurator, I have disabled SecureBootModel, set the Vault to Optional and the Scan Policy to 0.

config.plist is attached, with S/N redacted.

Any ideas as to what is happening?

Attachments

• config.plist
    11.1 KB · Views: 67
Your config.plist has no SSDT under ACPI>Add, no kext and no quirk enabled. I suggest you either:
  • Begin anew, closely following Acidanthera's setup guide for OpenCore, plus either SSDT-CPUR-Z690 or SDDT-PLUG-ALT, if you want to learn OpenCore;
  • Start from the "standard" Z690 EFI from this post for ease of setup; or
  • Focus on Clover, if you're most familiar with this boot loader.

Your config.plist has no SSDT under ACPI>Add, no kext and no quirk enabled. I suggest you either:
  • Begin anew, closely following Acidanthera's setup guide for OpenCore, plus either SSDT-CPUR-Z690 or SDDT-PLUG-ALT, if you want to learn OpenCore;
  • Start from the "standard" Z690 EFI from this post for ease of setup; or
  • Focus on Clover, if you're most familiar with this boot loader.
Thanks for the help... Took the second option and now I have the machine getting as far as a grey screen with mouse cursor. Unfortunately, verbose mode doesn't help here. I wonder what could be stopping the installer from starting?

PC details are:
- Intel i7-12700K CPU
- Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4 mainboard, latest firmware
- AMD RX590 video card
- 16GB 3200 DDR memory
- ~512GB M.2 SX8200NP SSD (blank)
- LG Bluray writer

Attachments

• config.plist
    27.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Many users reported such issues in the beginning of the general Z690 thread. Make sure to use a USB 2.0 device and/or a USB 2.0 port, as USB 3 may not work initially, and try disabling non-essential SSDT to boot (all but SSDT-AWAC and SSDT-CPUR or SSDT-PLUG-ALT).

USB 2 port used. Disabled all SSTs except SSDT-CPUR-Z690 and SSDT-AWAC, but never got to the grey installer screen. Added SSDT-EC-USBX and I can get to the blank grey installer screen, but the pointer will not move.

I can get to the blank grey installer screen
We used to see this reasonably frequently and the usual cause was a missing FakeSMC.kext.
I checked your config.plist and you have entries for both FakeSMC.kext and VirtualSMC.kext.
These two kexts do the same job and are mutually exclusive.
Use one or the other but not both. VirtualSMC.kext is the usual option with OpenCore.

Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 14.01.59.png

We used to see this reasonably frequently and the usual cause was a missing FakeSMC.kext.
I checked your config.plist and you have entries for both FakeSMC.kext and VirtualSMC.kext.
These two kexts do the same job and are mutually exclusive.
Use one or the other but not both. VirtualSMC.kext is the usual option with OpenCore.

View attachment 536443
Grrr... according to OpenCore Configurator, the FakeSMC.kext was supposed to be disabled... I will fix this ASAP. Thanks for the keen eye!

{edit}FakeSMC.kext is actually disabled, so shouldn't be loading.{/edit}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back