Contribute
Register

{GREAT SUCCESS} - Yo Mang's Hack Pro - 3930K / GTX670 / Sabertooth X79 (56k Warn!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks yo_man,

very nice guide, I'm trying my first os x build and i have the hardware except for the video card which is a gtx570. anybody know what i would have to change to be successful with a gtx570?

thanks

I had initially followed the video guide, which resulted in "can't find" immediately after boot drive selection, following this written guide has the same error. Any help would be awesome as I've been fighting this all day.Perhaps lazily, my last attempt was to just run Chimera installer on the Raid drive.

I have 2 1TB WD drives that I setup as Raid 0, then cloned my perfectly working Mountain Lion 10.8.2 install to the Raid using CCC.

I should mention that I named the slices RAID A & RAID B, the whole of it being labeled ML RAID. When the Chimera boot screen pops up only the slices are listed as boot options. PLEASE HELP!!!!

i was able to use the usb to install ml on the hdd using cpus=1 npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No :thumbup: (had still waiting for root device before) once installed, restarted and loaded up from usb to boot the ml hdd - i get another error :failed to boot kext com.apple.driver. appleusbuhci, and then the screen turns black o_O, then restarts

running the specs:

asus sabortooth x79 bios:1104
32 gb Corsair Dominator GT 1600mhz ram
intel 3930k
EVGA GTX 460 FTW EE

Thanks for the help guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom, All went almost well with the OC. My only issue is that my bluetooth mouse is not tracking correctly and it will not scroll. I think I may just get a wired mouse and call it good. My temps are around 40 to 43 Celsius. Here is my geek bench score...

Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 12.22.17 AM.jpg

Digging it! Thanks!

Also, I am running system profile 3.1. Is there a difference if I go 5.1?

Tom, All went almost well with the OC. My only issue is that my bluetooth mouse is not tracking correctly and it will not scroll. I think I may just get a wired mouse and call it good. My temps are around 40 to 43 Celsius. Here is my geek bench score...

View attachment 39982

Digging it! Thanks!

Also, I am running system profile 3.1. Is there a difference if I go 5.1?

Very nice, congrats! A couple months into this build now and I have had absolutely no issues.. not a single kernel panic, crash or hiccup. Naturally no sleep/speedstep and that seems to have me loosing a bit of performance in OS X vs Win 7, but not too worried about it. That said, we'll see how well it holds up when the next OS update come out, but so far so good.

No idea on the profile question, I've wondered that myself. I'm running the 5.1 profile and as I mentioned things are rock solid....

I'm going to be trying something very similar to this build, so I can't wait :)

My build is exactly same except RAID 0
I created to flash disc and i booted it
But installer cant began, it stucks with [PCI configuration begin] and after monitor cant receive signal
i tried GraphicsEnabler=No and PCIRootUID=0 flags, optimize the bios config restore defaults with optimised settings, HDD mode is AHCI, i tried also change the connection HDMI or DVI. I cant resolve the problem. Its 5:00am now.:cry::eek:

Ok this is driving me crazy. I'm using a GTX 670 Windforce as well, but for whatever reason I can't get higher than 19FPS on Cinebench! I'm on an i5 2500k but I don't see how that could make a difference of having less than half your performance. Am I missing something? I did the OpenCL fix you mentioned as well by replacing that file, but that didn't change anything. Does this mean that I don't have OpenCL working properly? Is that why I get such poor performance? I started with a fresh install of 10.8.2 if that makes any difference.

Hi to all and congrats! first of all i´ve to say im a noob. I work filming and editing videos and i´m planning to build a computer with the same specs that Yo Manq´s but i have in mind change the video card to a 680 because i dont see so much difference in costs.

¿its compatible whis this build? ¿may i considerer something first, or some steps missing? and if its there a 680 recomended model.

Thank you very much!

Sound is still a no-go, but continuing to work on that. Have not seen a specific sequence of steps to get it to work on this specific board with the new version of MB (which seems to be missing some options from previous versions like rebuild permission, etc..?) I'm also curious about bios revisions. I'm running 1104. Not sure if I should update to the latest/greatest (currently 3009)?

QUICK EDIT: I updated to 1203, up and running fine. Past 1203, Asus requires you to 'convert' the bios to a 'CAP' format. Assuming that is a no-going-back deal so I thought I'd stay put until someone reports in on how newer 'CAP' bios formats work. Latest/Greatest is version 3009.

Hi, I am just reading your thread trying to find the last bit that is missing:

I am on a very similar setup having:

Asus Sabertooth z79 on 3009 Bios (you asked if it works okay)
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 670 OC2 Card

For the bios, I needed to upgrade to cap version as this it the only one that is capable of handling windows 8. So far it handles my memory with 2133 MHz, the previous version did only allow 1600 Mhz without failures. So for me 3009 solved other problems and I used a modified DSDT for my board with HDMI Audio and everything worked at once. No problems booting up.

One little thing that keeps bugging me is something with the GPU I use in connection with the FakeSMC.kext package.

I installed the MultiBeast (5.2) FakeSMC.kext with the GPUsensor.kext included. I seem to have a problem with the GPUSensors.kext as my machine keeps freezing once I login and OS x loads the istat menu or HWStats tool after login. This seems to be connected to the GPUSensors.kext because if I take it out, it works. istatmenu would not offer the possibility to read the GPU temperature which is okay for me but it seems that you don't have any problems with it running Cinebench.

If I have this plugin installed and run cinebench, the gpusensors.kext seems to collide with rising temperatures and freezes my computer instantly.

Did you see anything like this on your setup as well or is there anything you did to prevent this? In different entries I could find something that points to this faulty(?) extension but I am not sure if it is just it by itself or a collission between two kexts that are not compatible.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back