Contribute
Register

{GREAT SUCCESS} - Yo Mang's Hack Pro - 3930K / GTX670 / Sabertooth X79 (56k Warn!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can also try installing mach kernel to get the cpus=1 gone thats what I just did and it works flawlessly all I have to do now is get my ALC898/Sound to work D:

Guys! Such a problem. I bought these the same parts. Installing Mountain Lion from UniBeast USB, but after the apple on the screen turns off the monitor. Sets the card in different slots. Put another video card. Does not help. On different computers makes the setup stick USB. Help!

yeah me too... i have found resources for audio to work on ML, but t would mean creating my own DSDT and what not... It seems very overboard, to say the least. Yo Mang, how did you get your Audio to work?

Guys! Such a problem. I bought these the same parts. Installing Mountain Lion from UniBeast USB, but after the apple on the screen turns off the monitor. Sets the card in different slots. Put another video card. Does not help. On different computers makes the setup stick USB. Help!

When the Bootloader starts, just hit any key and start typing "GraphicsEnabler=No CPURootUID=0 npci=0x3000 cpus=1". This should work.

Actually all I needed to do is type:

"npci=0x3000"

and it got me to the OS X install screen.

Must be something to do with perhaps a different graphics card? So far it seems like nobody else has had quite the smooth sailing install and run that Yo Mang had.

Not sure if it's got to do with some obscure BIOS setting or even merely the BIOS revision (mine is 0906...not sure if I should bother updating it to the latest).

If Yo Mang could chime in perhaps it would be useful for him to let us know what BIOS version was installed on his motherboard?

So FYI,

I did my install today on an Asus Sabertooth X79 with 16gigs of RAM, a GeForce 660ti and an Intel i7 3930k.

Everything went pretty smoothly after working out the boot issue mentioned above. I don't really understand what that command does, but it definitely allows the computer to boot up and the video to stay on.

Unfortunately I couldn't get audio to work at all.

Tomorrow I'll run some more tests, so far on the stock speed I'm getting a little over 13000 score using Geekbench at 64bit. Not bad, but I'm really hoping to get it much faster than that with over clocking.

Anyone have any ideas on how to successfully overclock that mother board? I have never overclocked anything in my life so any advice would be most welcome!

So, about the overclocking thing....I started playing around with it and I'm a bit confused.

Since Speedstep doesn't work on X79 machines, my guess is that running a turbo OC setting in BIOS is pretty useless?

I would think that one would need to set the base clock setting up and possibly disable the Turbo in BIOS?

Any help would be extremely appreciated seeing how coming from a Mac-only background, all of this OC setups are pretty foreign to me.

Many thanks!

Thanks so much for the help, that post was exactly what I needed. Have everything stable now, from audio to dual booting, almost everything. The only thing that doesn't work (and I can get over it if I have to) is my FireWire 400 port. I'd like to use it if I can, but no idea where to go from here. Suggestions?

Hello Krazy,

So ultimately how did you get the audio to work again? I can't get any audio out despite me re-installing the ALC892 several times.

On the plus side, my FW400 port appears to be working fine.

P.S.

I did figure out the OC somewhat. Someone please chime in if you think that I'm doing it wrong:

Essentially, I assume that Turbo Boost and Speedstep functionality isn't working (yet) on those X79 boards so first of all I Disabled both of those functions in the BIOS.

So now I was left with the Base Frequency which I adjusted to 134% (135 crashes my machine) which gives me roughly a 4.2ghz CPU (Geekbench score 18779...I can live with that!).

I also read that leaving the BIOS setting for the VCore voltage to Auto is a bad idea, so I switched it to manual and kept it at the standard 1.200V setting which will hopefully help keep the CPU within safe temperature ranges.

Speaking of temperatures, I still don't have a way to check the CPU and various other temperatures within OS X. Unfortunately the Temperature Monitor app which works so well on my Mac Pro only reports my SSD drive temp on my Hackintosh so that is not useful. I searched for some solutions on this forum but all the posts seem to be from several months ago and I am not sure if their suggestions still apply.

Thanks so much for the help, that post was exactly what I needed. Have everything stable now, from audio to dual booting, almost everything. The only thing that doesn't work (and I can get over it if I have to) is my FireWire 400 port. I'd like to use it if I can, but no idea where to go from here. Suggestions?

hey krazy! How did you get your sound to work? I have tried all sorts of stuff, but just can't get it working. And I thought the era of silent movies is over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back