Contribute
Register

{GREAT SUCCESS} - Yo Mang's Hack Pro - 3930K / GTX670 / Sabertooth X79 (56k Warn!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your Geekbench scores with the over clock?

I do only have 24gb of ram though, not 32 like he does. I forgot to run the geekbench before overclocking unfortunately.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 3.14.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 3.14.07 PM.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 137
Here are the results on Windows. So i'm guessing it's not working on Mac. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Windows Geekbench.PNG
    Windows Geekbench.PNG
    41.7 KB · Views: 191
Here is what I suspect is happening.

The way you're oveclocking is by punching up the Speedstep (i.e. Turbo mode) numbers, unfortunately Speedstep doesn't work on X79 Hackintoshes, so the computer is never actually going into turbo mode and you're stuck at your base clock rate.

The way you should over clock a Hackintosh is by increasing the Base Clock multiplier from 33 to 42 and up so that the CPU is always running at your desired clock. Not the most energy efficient unfortunately, but it's the way it works on X79 machines.

My supposition could be wrong, and in that case I have no idea why your machine isn't OC-ing correctly.

These are the settings I changed to overclock it.

Turbo Ratio - By All Cores
By All cores - 42

Cpu Clock Gen filter - Enabled

Memory Frequency - ddr3-1600MHz

EPU Power saving mode - enabled

CPU Load-line Calibration - Medium
CPU Current Capability - 130%
VCCSA Load Line calibration - Regular
VCCSA Current Capability - 120 %
CPU Power Phase Control - Optimized
DRAM-AB Current Capability - 120%

By the way, thanks for the fast responds!

I turned off EIST in the bios. And now in about my mac it shows 3.8GHZ. and i uploaded new geekbench results

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-08 at 5.17.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-08 at 5.17.58 PM.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 125
I did a benchmark in Prime95 for mac and it says 4019.56MHz.

So its running at 4.0 GHz. Not quite 4.2Ghz

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-08 at 5.35.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-08 at 5.35.29 PM.png
    33 KB · Views: 111
I've built a few X79 hackintoshes for my friends and for simplicity's sake, I just set them up on the Asus BIOS simple set up for Speed mode. This got them to right around 4-ish ghz without needing to mess with all that stuff. It's better for them, and easier to understand since it's literally only one click in BIOS. I think for 90% of users, that would probably work just fine without needing to go in and fine tune all the voltages and multipliers.

Then again, I have my pup at 4.6ghz and I've been more than happy to dig deep to get every bit of performance out of this machine as possible.

Nice. I also set my CPU Ratio under CPU Power management configuration to 42 also. Override the turbo mode pretty much. What do your temps get up to when under a stress test at 4.6ghz??

I got me one of these puppies and I've been able to keep the temps within the mid to upper 70's under stress:

Corsair Hydro Series H110 280 mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4OCW7K/

I also have this amazing Corsair case which is great with airflow and in keeping the components very cool:

Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case CC-9011030-WW - Black
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D6GINF4/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back