Contribute
Register

Graphics slowdown on High Sierra (Downgrade to Sierra?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Elite Desk 800 G4 SFF - Q370
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
WX 4100
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Recently, I upgraded my system to High Sierra and the main motivation for this upgrade was to use my new NVMe SSD. But looks like this was a bad decision to upgrade. Graphics performance is quite bad in High Sierra (monitor not waking up from sleep, slow chrome GPU rendering) and this is already reported by many people. I had a very stable Sierra installation earlier and now I want to go back. Only thing is holding me back is complicated steps involved in using NVMe SSD in Sierra.

I know there is a big post by @RehabMan to add support for NVMe SSD in Sierra but I want a system with minimal tweaking.

If I have a High Sierra installation now, is it possible to copy over some of the NVMe driver to Sierra to make it work with NVMe SSD? Please let me know if you have any other easy solution?

Last edited:
Any luck? I'm in the same situation, same GPU as well, might be related.

Any luck? I'm in the same situation, same GPU as well, might be related.
No, I just gave up. This is ongoing issue and I doubt there is any fix as of now. You can turn off GPU acceleration in Chrome to improve the performance but I found many websites don't load without gpu acceleration.
Colossal waste of time by installing High Sierra, few days back downgraded to Sierra.

I have had the same UI slowdowns, jerky window resizing and stuttering in the WebGL water test although I was using a GTX760 that supposedly works OOB. In the end I bought a Radeon RX560, supposedly inferior card and now UI is snappy, no jerky window resizing and WebGL water test runs perfectly.

Sounds like a problem with the NVidia web drivers maybe. Looking like a downgrade to Sierra is the next thing to try..

I have had the same UI slowdowns, jerky window resizing and stuttering in the WebGL water test although I was using a GTX760 that supposedly works OOB. In the end I bought a Radeon RX560, supposedly inferior card and now UI is snappy, no jerky window resizing and WebGL water test runs perfectly.

Using Radeon is one solution but recent bitcoin mining made it difficult to find these graphics cards. I had earlier posted here how come Radeon cards are not on the list of compatible hardwares?

Thing is, the GTX760 is supposed to not require the web drivers and I never used them so it can't be that. It seems to be a general Nvidia problem at the moment...https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gtx-1060-performance-on-10-13-high-sierra.236962/

I saw this while trying to debug my issue, don't remember if I tried it or not. Give it a try and post your experience

Here is what I did:
Rolled back to last known good drivers: https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update
Removed all NVDA* and GeForce* kexts in /S/L/E/
Removed the following from my EFI drive (I have heard version conflicts cause problems here)
  • Lilu.kext
  • NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext
  • NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
Reinstalled the latest versions of
  • Lilu.kext
  • NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
(You do not need NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext).

The combination of these things have fixed the problem for me. High Sierra 10.13.3 seems to be running as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back