Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all! So I've been using my wonderful Hackintosh for about a month now, and the only problem I've really been having is an occasional kernal panic. I'm entering into an editing job now which will have the client lording over my shoulder during the entire edit, so I'm trying to solve this KP problem once and for all. First off, here's a screen shot:

mFrzy.jpg

(sorry for the blurriness, let me know if you need a clearer picture, ill snap one one the next kp)

Annddd here are my specs:
Gigabyte GTS 450 card
Gigabyte 58xA UD3r MB
6Gb Corsair memory
intel i7 930 2.8 ghz

Any help would be appreciated!!

You will more than likely experience freezes, more so in 64bit than 32bit mode, also people have been saying removing the geforce.kext file was the only way to get this card to not black screen on startup. If this happens restart in Safe Boot mode (hold shift on startup) delete geforce.kext, set your resolution (you may get a blue screen and nothing more just hard reboot) and restart. You should then have full res but no QE/CI and correct info in System Profiler. You can test if you have QE/CI by simply opening the dashboard, adding a widget and observing the nice graphical watery ripple around the widget. If you didn't experience that nice ripple effect then you have no QE/CI, same if you try and view a picture in iPhoto fullscreen, will not work.

I personally recommend selling your existing card and purchasing either a HD5770 or HD5870.

nicksnow said:
Hello all! So I've been using my wonderful Hackintosh for about a month now, and the only problem I've really been having is an occasional kernal panic. I'm entering into an editing job now which will have the client lording over my shoulder during the entire edit, so I'm trying to solve this KP problem once and for all.

Annddd here are my specs:
Gigabyte GTS 450 card
Gigabyte 58xA UD3r MB
6Gb Corsair memory
intel i7 930 2.8 ghz

Any help would be appreciated!!

It's going to be a tough one to fix. However, if you're currently using the Graphics Enabler solution, consider trying the EFIstring method. I use this with my GT 430 and it works flawlessly.

I agree, give the EFI method a go, sorry should of mentioned that :/ but I would still recommend a swap for a 5870 especially if your using Final Cut Pro :)

Safe RT pffff....whatever ;)

Cool, thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll do that. I original got the GTS 450 thinking I was going to make the switch from FCP to Premiere, then I used Premiere for about 3 weeks and just can't get used to it...

Sowhat would the process be for switching over to an ATI card...should I redo the whole Iboot+Multibeast process?

And just to clarify before I go out and sink another $150 into this project... when you say "freeze" do you mean like, a literal screen freeze, or do kernel panics count as "freezes"? Because I haven't had a huge problem with freezes on this computer, I'd say I get about one a week compared to roughly 5 kernel panics a day.

if I can troubleshoot the kernel panics then I'll be fine with the occasional freeze.

I hate to bump this but I want to exhaust all options before just chucking a decent video card that works well for me 95% of the time. Anybody?

Welcome to the Lock-Up Club! ATM the only way to prevent you card from going to idle (which actually causes the KP) is to run something that stresses the card. I'm using the visualisation from iTunes which works pretty well. I don't know the name but it's the visualisation with this dark planet and some light behind. It keeps a smooth load but doesn't overkill your GPU. Never had a KP since using that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back