12. Plus
  13. Power Mac
  14. PowerBook
  15. Quadra
  16. SE
  17. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just completed a major upgrade to a Haswell i7 on a GA-H87-D3H motherboard. Can't afford a new graphics card so I'm using my old GTS250. It works perfectly EXCEPT for Viewer mode in Aperture. Photoshop and Lightroom are fine, as is thumbnail views in Aperture, but when I switch to full screen Viewer mode I get a highly distorted image. Look at attachment. I've tried creating a new library and importing new images but nothing changes. Any help gratefully received!

Addendum: I just noticed that I get the same type of image in the map window of Apple's new Maps app.

Another addendum: Apple Maps now seems to work so the only problem left is Aperture. Unfortunately Aperture is my primary application. I've added a video so you can see how the image reacts when you resize it. Download and unzip to view.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-20 at 7.35.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-11-20 at 7.35.19 AM.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Video-iPhone.m4v.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 69
Thanks, but this would not be practical. I use 2 monitors.

I think the hard answer is that the GTS 250 probably just isn't well supported, or up the to the task of, running the latest versions of Aperture on Mavericks. I could be wrong. And I use an pretty old 5770 in Aperture (but keep in mind that card has tons of official support from Apple itself for so long in real Mac Pros), so I understand the idea of not wanting to get the latest/newest.

And I think the real fix is saving up to get a modern GPU. After all, the GPU is probably a more important part of many systems these days than the CPU. And a 4770 of any flavor far outclasses your current GPU, whereas even an older chip (like my previous i7-950) can saturate all but the very top of the line current GPUs like the Titan.

There are some silly good deals for AMD 7970/50s right now if you look and move quickly (~$200 w/ games). Or you could save up for a 280X, which will drop in price over the coming months while you save. I've even seen some 7870s go in the $100 even range, which would be like a tripling of GPU power for you.

Good luck! I'm hanging in there myself to update my aging 5770. Still does just about everything (but run BF3 at acceptable framerates and quality at 1440p)... but I'd love the better compute features I could get out of a 7970/280x/290 in Aperture/FCPX... and gaming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back