Contribute
Register

Graphics problem under Mohave (Radeon HD6670)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
CPU
i7-2600
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just updated my 2nd Hackintosh (with an ATI Radeon HD 6670) to Mojave. Everything went successfully, unfortunately the graphics card is no longer recognized by the system ('Display 7MB'), the image is distorted (wrong resolution) and the display jerky when moving windows...

How can i fix that? Thanks!

Last edited:
Are you kidding? How do you know?
There is no workaround or anything? I Had such problems before, there has always been a solution...

There is no workaround or anything? I Had such problems before, there has always been a solution...

Install macOS 10.14 Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898

Learn how to prepare your Mac Pro (Mid 2010) or Mac Pro (Mid 2012) for macOS Mojave.

macOS Mojave requires a graphics card that supports Metal, an Apple technology that lets the system and apps efficiently tap into the capabilities of today’s graphics processors (GPUs). The graphics cards offered by Apple in Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012) don't have GPUs that support Metal, so these systems require upgraded graphics cards in order to install macOS Mojave.

Before you upgrade to macOS Mojave on these Mac Pro models, you need to update to macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and then make sure that your graphics card is compatible. You also need to turn off FileVault.

Make sure that your graphics card works with Mojave
Next, check to see if the graphics card in your Mac Pro is compatible. You can use System Information to find out which graphics card your Mac has:

1. Press and hold the Option key while choosing Apple () menu > System Information.
  2. In the sidebar, select Graphics/Displays. If your graphics card is compatible, you see "Supported" next to the Metal entry. You can also note the name of your graphics card and see if it's in the list below.
These specific third-party graphics cards are Metal-capable and compatible with macOS Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012):

• MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDRR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition
  • NVIDIA Quadro K5000 for Mac
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition
Some other third-party graphics cards* based on the following AMD GPU families might also be compatible with macOS Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012):

• AMD Radeon RX 560
  • AMD Radeon RX 570
  • AMD Radeon RX 580
  • AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
  • AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100
  • AMD Radeon Frontier Edition

No kidding. The 6670 does not support Metal, the Graphics API from Apple, which is required in Mojave. That's why your card won't ever work.

Mojave requires a Metal supported graphics card or internal graphics.

Okay, but i hope my GTX 950 supports 'Metal'? :shifty:

Okay, but i hope my GTX 950 supports 'Metal'? :shifty:

even your GTX 950 support Metal, it can't make use of hardware acceleration to decode H.264, apple already give up Nvidia for a long time.

I don't care about Video Codecs and stuff, I just want to know if I can get the right resolution on my GTX 950 as I have it right now at High Sierra. The GTX 950 is such a common card, I can't believe all the users with this card can't update to Mojave...

Just found the Metal entry in the system information (Graphics/Displays):

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950

'Metal: supported, function set macOS GPUFamily1 v3'

I don't care about Video Codecs and stuff, I just want to know if I can get the right resolution on my GTX 950 as I have it right now at High Sierra. The GTX 950 is such a common card, I can't believe all the users with this card can't update to Mojave...

You will have to wait until Nvidia releases web drivers for Mojave (nobody knows when), which is required for the GTX 950 to function correctly in Mojave.

I recommend sticking with High Sierra for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back