Graphics
Nvidia 1080 TI
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Afternoon;
I thought I would post this here, since I didn't see any movement under Desktop support.

After dealing with this issue since I directly upgraded to Sierra on my old machine a couple of years ago. I finally decided to sit down and right up a post.
I have this strange performance issue; which can be easily observed with my mouse skipping on my screen. On my old machine I could easily duplicate the issue when non-youtube videos played in safari (normally small advertisement). If I opened that same page up in Chrome I didn't see the problem.
I didn't think to much of it, I switched to using chrome more on my Hack, and thought the issue would go away once I built a new machine.
Now that I built a whole new machine, around the 7700, did a fresh install of HS. I have a similar issue on a whole new machine.
On this machine, I don't know how to duplicate the issue. This issue just pops out of no where. Symptoms = mouse skipping, graphic jitter shown when watching video, viewing the screensaver, and so forth. The only way to resolve the issue, I have found is to reboot the computer. After that I'm back to normal, until it pops up again.

I don't know if the issue on my old machine, is even remotely correlated to what I'm seeing on my new machine, but the symptoms are similar.

A small recap: My old machine (Bios motherboard, i7 930, 2009/2010 spec machine), issue seems to be isolated to video playback (mostly ad's) in safari. Mouse skipping, video play back stuttering once that tab was closed, performance would be back to normal. If you open that same page in Chrome, no performance issue.
New machine, I haven't found a way to directly duplicate the issue. No rhyme or reason, mouse starts skipping, video play back stuttering, screensaver also stuttering (I think I had screensaver stutter on my old machine, however I don't remember). The only way to fix is a reboot.

What I think the issue maybe:
Nivida Web driver...
I didn't see these issues before we started using the Web Driver method on Hacks.
On my new machine I'm using the Lilu, and NvidiaGraphicsFixup kext. I have Lilu installed in the "EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.13" and NvidiaGraphicsFixup installed in "/Library/Extensions..."

Has anyone else seen this issue? Has anyone resolved it?

Update:
I switched to intel Onboarding and all is well.
I didn't know how bad the problem was! Now that I'm on Intel, the computer feels 100%

Also on a side note, I had been having Handoff issues for years. Even after buying the correct module on my old machine, it enabled AirDrop, Wifi, better bluetooth, GPS - which was cool however handoff not working (even with it show it was compatible, and with it being enabled).
On my new machine using the same card, Handoff worked in one direction, out.
So I could get to websites I was looking at on my iPad from my Hack, but the other way around it would crash.
Nothing I did would work, until recently I changed the system ID from iMac, back to MacPro, now everything is working.

I have a similar issue, but with High Sierra.

Everything was fine and dandy under Sierra. Except random freezes. Now I upgraded to High Sierra and my random freezes are gone (I think they were related to CUDA driver and I removed them). However sometimes HS becomes unusable its so unstable and stuttery.

I followed this post, switching everything back to Nvidia.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/choppy-animations-high-sierra-8600k-gtx-1080.242284/

Here is Brebo's response post, with my edits (I hope it helps):

BIOS - Disable Integrated Graphics - PEG as Primary < - this I was already aware of
config.plist/Graphics/ig-platform-id=0x59120003 - Remove ig-platform-id <- This was never set for me
config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0x12345678 - Change into 0x0 < - Bingo! I had this set from the jump on this build, so I removed it.

I have only been running my machine for 30 minutes on this configuration, so I can't tell you if it's fixed or not. One thing I can tell you, Intel on-board graphics is still a little smoother. I honestly think their maybe a performance problem with Nvidia's webdrivers that effects everyone. I have seen people post about it in this forum, and others. The issue is no one is spelling it out like "Nvidia your Web drivers solution is trash!" lol. I will keep you posted on if my performance goes to ****.

I also have the Cuda driver installed. I installed it months ago, thinking it may resolve the stutter problem, which it didn't.

Thank you for that. Unfortunately I had already done everything on that list and it's still stuttering :(

I have removed CUDA completely because I think it was causing system freezes when I used Premiere Pro and CUDA on Sierra.

I upgraded to High Sierra in hopes of that going away but to no avail.

Sierra was pretty smooth for me (except the freezes with CUDA and Premiere).

I'm building an X299 system I hope I don't have these issues. I'm starting everything from scratch.

I also wonder if I should try 6,1 or 18,x.

I was on 14,x forever on Sierra and it worked fine. I'm on 17,x right now.

I really wonder if this is dual monitor related. I'll report back when I try just one.

I understand, I wish you luck.
I had been running on 5,1 for the longest on my old machine. When I built my new machine, I switched to 18,1 (because it's the most like it). Switching to 6,1 appears to have fixed handoff as it's completely working now. Also when I was running intel onboard graphics, I tried switching back to 18,1 and the machine wouldn't boot the graphics. It would hang on the little apple logo which was also discolored.

Here are a couple of things I don't know if you have the answer too:
Pre-OS boot on a 4K Monitor - these newer Nvidia cards display in lower resolution (I'm thinking 1080).
When I switch to Intel Onboard graphics, everything is in 4K (even the Bios).
I'm wondering if it's something that can be changed so the Nvidia cards show at 4K during Pre-OS boot...
Second question,
Is there a way to get clover to show the correct 4K resolution, Pre-boot. On intel when I'm in clover everything is real tiny (still looks better then on Nvidia with everything looking pixelated), then when MacOS boots the Apple logo is tiny, until the graphics boot then the logo goes to normal size.

If you're talking about showing a proper resolution during clover boot menu (ie not stretched) ....if this is what you're asking, then yeah you can disable CSM completely in the bios and it should take care of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back