3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I’ve gotten through a clean installation of High Sierra 10.13.5, to the point where my NVIDIA web drivers and CUDA are updated, and the GTX 670 graphics card’s HDMI output is showing up on my Asus VG23AH 1080p display, but the resolution is limited to 1024 x 768, and I’m having glitching issues, as described below.

On startup, I see the Gigabyte logo only (no onscreen options for entering BIOS, etc.) for about 1:50, then I get to the Clover boot screen (“4428” in the bottom right corner, for what it’s worth). After choosing Boot macOS from High Sierra (HFS format), the Apple logo comes after a minute, then after about 1:15 of load time, there’s a flashing screen (basically, a block of black lines drawn from bottom to top), then the login comes up. When I log in, I see a block of white lines flash by in a similar way, then the desktop. Opening Safari, I see glitching as I mouse over the tabs, and playing YouTube fullscreen results in stuttering playback, while the YouTube title and controls flash on and off. Checking System Preferences—>Displays, I find that the display is not recognized by name, and its default resolution is listed as 1024 x 768.

My apologies for the lengthy and probably unnecessary visual description; I’m just trying to provide a concise description of my issue, despite my limited knowledge of what I’m actually doing.

I’ve enabled the verbose boot argument via Clover Configurator, but I don’t see any onscreen details on startup. My config.plist file is attached.

There’s other issues you may discern, such as not being able to boot without the USB drive inserted, and having to use a USB PnP sound device as a workaround, but I can live with these, if I have to.

Thanks!

Chuck

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.7 KB · Views: 214
Is there any information I should have included in this post, but didn't? I'm still just kinda throwing stuff against the wall & seeing what sticks...

Is there any information I should have included in this post, but didn't? I'm still just kinda throwing stuff against the wall & seeing what sticks...

The GTX 670 should have native support in MacOS High Sierra and there should be no need for web drivers and CUDA drivers, unless you have a special reason for them. However, it is a well known issue that some of the Kepler series GTX 6xx graphics cards (650 Ti Boost / 660 / 660 Ti) are affected by graphics glitches problems in High Sierra. Not sure if the 670 is also affected.

Anyway, have you tried disabling (or uninstalling) the web drivers and CUDA drivers to see if the problem can be resolved?

I moved the kexts for NVIDIA Web Driver 381.10.10.10.35.106 & CUDA Driver 396.64 to the trash & restarted, but got pretty much the same results. The System Preferences for each were saying that I'm up to date.

Have you solved 670 of problem?
How to solve?

Have you solved 670 of problem?
How to solve?

No, unfortunately, I haven't yet. Been dealing with other issues, but I hope to get back on it soon.

I found the Open Uninstaller button on the NVIDIA Driver Manager Control Panel, and proceeded to do so. Net result was that the Control Panel disappeared, but the glitching remained. Couldn't figure out a clean way to uninstall CUDA, and the CUDA Driver Info & Updates button in the control panel doesn't work.

I later found and ran the Benjamin Dobell script, which brought back the NVIDIA Driver Manager Control Panel, and got me to a later NVIDIA Web Driver (387.10.10.10.35.106) and older CUDA Driver version (396.148), but no change with the glitching:
https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back