Contribute
Register

Graphics glitches and other issues migrating triple-boot from Chameleon to Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ProBook 4530s
CPU
i3 2310
Graphics
Integrated
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

Recently I decided to take the risk to migrate my stable-enough quad boot (Mountain Lion and Win 8 on main disk 500 GB Samsung 840 SSD, Mavericks, Ubuntu 14.04, and Shared FAT32 storage on 1TB HDD in optical drive bay caddy) to a Clover-based triple boot on a new disk (1TB Crucial M550 SSD, with Mavericks, Win 8, and Ubuntu each having 1/3rd of the drive, the optical bay disk could then be dedicated to Shared storage).

The ProBook in question is a 4530s model.

Unfortunately the migration has not gone well at all. Considering the old setup was based on hybrid MBR/GPT and the new set-up is entirely GPT/UEFI, I knew it wasn't going to be easy.

However, I didn't expect it to go this badly. Mavericks was the only OS I was able to transfer over successfully. Despite having made a Win 8 image and Clonezilla USB key in hand, I could not for the life of me get either Win 8 or Ubuntu onto the new disk. Along the way, somehow grub on the original disk was messed up and I can no longer detect the Ubuntu install from either Chameleon or Clover.

After giving up initially, I ended up resorting to fresh installing Win 8.1 as UEFI install, and fresh installing Ubuntu 14.10. For now I am setting those aside and trying to fix the issues I'm having with Mavericks first.

With Mavericks, there are graphics glitches constantly on both the primary and extended monitor. I have selected all the correct settings in the Clover bootloader, reset the SMC, repaired permissions, and nothing seems to permanently fix the issue. I know that I have my work cut out for me with HD3000, but at this point I am committed to moving forward and not going back to my Chameleon-based setup. As a last resort I attempted to install SMCpingDaemon, but apparently it is already installed. Not sure if having it installed conflicts with having what I imagine to be a correctly configured DSDT.

Ideally the rest of the migration could go something like this:

1. Fix the Mavericks issues, and continue to transfer the Mountain Lion set-up I had over to Mavericks.
2. Find a way to get the Win 8 image I made into the 2nd partition I set up for it.
3. Find a way to get Ubuntu 14.04 onto the 3rd partition I set up for it, and upgrade to 14.10.

Thanks for any and all help.

With Mavericks, there are graphics glitches constantly on both the primary and extended monitor. I have selected all the correct settings in the Clover bootloader, reset the SMC, repaired permissions, and nothing seems to permanently fix the issue. I know that I have my work cut out for me with HD3000, but at this point I am committed to moving forward and not going back to my Chameleon-based setup. As a last resort I attempted to install SMCpingDaemon, but apparently it is already installed. Not sure if having it installed conflicts with having what I imagine to be a correctly configured DSDT.

Try kernel flag slide=0.

Somehow the glitches were (much) worse after adding the flag, but after removing it they seem to be gone. Obviously it's the sort of thing that needs to be tested over multiple boots, switching OSes, etc., but I've got my fingers crossed.

It's a bit depressing to hear that a multi-booter is more susceptible to these issues after switching to Mac from Win/Linux but I have to do work on all OSes so not much choice there.

Anyway, I'll swing over to the other two issues for any ideas: how can I recover my existing Win 8 and Ubuntu installations?

My backup plan is to just manually re-install programs to the new OSes that are up and running and recognized under Clover, but still hope there's an outside chance I don't have to redo all that work.

Win 8's native imaging seems like a no-go as it doesn't even have partition->partition options. When you restore a backup from Win 8 installer, it warns you it will wipe out the whole disk to restore the partitioning table I guess.

The first thing I tried to do with Clonezilla was to migrate the Ubuntu partition, leaving swap as with 8gb ram I figure it's not needed, plus I am migrating onto an SSD which is not a good idea to put a swap partition on.

However, that didn't work out so well, and now I can't boot to my old Ubuntu partition, even if only to check what I had installed that I would want to re-install to the new installation.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really wish I had a deeper understanding of where the separation is between the OSes themselves, and the tie-ins they have to various boot schemes. Maybe it's not possible to migrate these OSes after all, and I should give up now?

In that case, I'm mostly trying to figure out how I can repair grub on my old disk so I can get back into my old Ubuntu installation.

Thanks!

Somehow the glitches were (much) worse after adding the flag, but after removing it they seem to be gone. Obviously it's the sort of thing that needs to be tested over multiple boots, switching OSes, etc., but I've got my fingers crossed.

With HD3000, once glitches start to appear, you need to do an EC reset. They are common after booting into another OS (such as Windows).

Anyway, I'll swing over to the other two issues for any ideas: how can I recover my existing Win 8 and Ubuntu installations?

Restore from backup. Restore bootloader information (grub/BCD/etc).

Thanks for the help - one last question:

My Windows 8 installation keeps overriding the Clover bootloader. This means the only way I can get into Clover is hitting F9 and navigating to the EFI boot file.

I only found one kind of trick that worked temporarily, but only until I boot into Windows again (renaming one of its EFI files with the Clover boot file - Windows fixes it on next boot). What can I do to fix this?

Otherwise...

Wow, the need to do the EC reset every time is really a dealbreaker for me. Maybe it's finally time to upgrade my base notebook model?

I guess I got into Probooks originally because it was a relatively affordable way to have a triple-boot. It seems like Clover could work quite nicely on a newer model. I had my student get a 430 G1 - what is the recommended model for the best setup?

The other thing I'd like to try to avoid is having to have separate WiFi and Bluetooth - I remember having to carefully put tape over the Bluetooth pins on my Atheros WiFi so I could use an external BT dongle.

Of course, maybe it's time to just get a real MacBook Pro...

If there were a way to get a newer ProBook with a direct Firewire connection it'd be no contest.. guess not many people use Firewire besides audio people these days!

I found this:

"using SwitchResX may be helpful with HD3000 graphic glitches. Read here: HP Probook 4730s"

Do you think it could help in my case?

Thanks for the help - one last question:

My Windows 8 installation keeps overriding the Clover bootloader. This means the only way I can get into Clover is hitting F9 and navigating to the EFI boot file.

I only found one kind of trick that worked temporarily, but only until I boot into Windows again (renaming one of its EFI files with the Clover boot file - Windows fixes it on next boot). What can I do to fix this?

Otherwise...

Windows should only "fix" its bootmgfw.efi on updates. Make sure you have the right version at bootmgfw-orig.efi.

For example, wrong way to fix after Windows update:
- delete /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

For example, correct way:
- delete old /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw-orig.efi
- rename new /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi

Wow, the need to do the EC reset every time is really a dealbreaker for me. Maybe it's finally time to upgrade my base notebook model?

Not necessarily every time, but definitely when the glitches appear.

I guess I got into Probooks originally because it was a relatively affordable way to have a triple-boot. It seems like Clover could work quite nicely on a newer model. I had my student get a 430 G1 - what is the recommended model for the best setup?

I have a 4540s. No experience with the newer models.

The other thing I'd like to try to avoid is having to have separate WiFi and Bluetooth - I remember having to carefully put tape over the Bluetooth pins on my Atheros WiFi so I could use an external BT dongle.

I just don't use bluetooth.

Of course, maybe it's time to just get a real MacBook Pro...

They are very nice computers.

If there were a way to get a newer ProBook with a direct Firewire connection it'd be no contest.. guess not many people use Firewire besides audio people these days!

To me, Firewire == floppy disks.

Ah you were right - I can see that the modified date had indeed been bumped up on bootmgfw.efi, so it must have been updating. Hopefully having the latest version there as bootmgfw-orig.efi will keep it happy.

And glitches are back after a single other restart... Maybe I'll keep this machine on the old Chameleon setup and try to get a UEFI-based triple boot on some kind of new machine... thanks for the help.

glitches are back after a single other restart... Maybe I'll keep this machine on the old Chameleon setup and try to get a UEFI-based triple boot on some kind of new machine... thanks for the help.

Why not just run Ubuntu and Windows in VirtualBox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back