Asus Sabertooth X79
CPU
i7-4930K
Graphics
Asus ROG STRIX Geforce GTX 1070
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi Guys

I'm hoping someone can give me advice on how to fix this problem, as it seems to be getting worse.

Firstly heres my Specs:

OSX 10.10.5
Nvidia driver: 346.02.03f01 (latest driver)
CPU: Intel Core i7 4930K
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 32GB
Graphics card: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 FTW

If you need any other specs please ask :)

Heres a screen cap of the glitch:

Graphic Glitch.jpg

It can range from a small part of the screen like this screen cap, to the entire screen.

It started happening a few months ago, with just minor glitches here and there, and then recently it started getting worse and covering the whole screen.

It only seems to happen when I use graphic intensive programs like Photoshop or DAZ Studio.
It doesn't happen straight away, it happens after maybe 30mins to an hour of use.
I can restart the computer and the glitch goes away, but then it comes back again.

I'm running 3 monitors on the graphics card.

2x 24" Samsung 1920x1200 monitors
1x 32" Samsung QHD 2560x1440 monitor

If anymore information is needed, please ask!

Any advice or help would be appreciated :)!

Thank you!

It may be overheating due to non matched graphics power management to your system definition.
To confirm that do stress tests under windows and see if you have artifacts there too.

It may be overheating due to non matched graphics power management to your system definition.
To confirm that do stress tests under windows and see if you have artifacts there too.

I've tested it in Windows 7, the only stress test I had was the Unigine Heaven benchmark. It was steady around 75degrees and didn't show any signs of the glitching.

Annoyingly, I cannot see the temperature of the GPU under MAC OS, which is very annoying.
I don't know if it's overheating.
I've noticed the glitching happens generally when in openGL environments.
I have left the computer on overnight rendering with the GPU (using CUDA cores) and there has not been any glitching.
CPU Temps don't really go over 55degrees when on full workload, and cooling is pretty good in the case.

Is there anyway to fix the graphics power management for my system definition, if that is the problem?

Is there anything else I could do to confirm or deny if it was the temperature that was causing the problem?

Thank you :)!

Try to disable integrated graphics from BIOS.

Try to disable integrated graphics from BIOS.

Thank you for the reply!

Unfortunately, the LGA 2011 Socket/X79 chipset doesn't have integrated graphics!

Just to update this thread.

I'm still having the glitching issues, but I can confirm that the issue is definitely with the GTX 970 and OSX.

I have recently added a GTX 780Ti to my build to run along side the GTX 970 for GPU rendering. And I can confirm that the 780Ti doesn't have the glitching issue.
Infact, I have my main 1440P monitor plugged into the GTX970 and my other two 1080P monitors plugged into the GTX780Ti and I can literally drag a glitching window from the main screen to one of the side screens and see the glitching disappear.

I have also noticed that in iStat Menus, I never saw the GPU temperature or Fan speed for the GTX970, but since using the 780Ti, I see GPU temp and Fan speed for the 780Ti. So the 970 must have incompatible sensors with OSX.

The 970 GPU its self is fine, as I left it benchmarking for 5 hours straight at 100% in Windows 10 and didn't experience any glitching at all.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this, in light of this new information?

Thank you :)!

What kind of cable/connection are you using for the 970 to the 1440P monitor? If it is a native Display Port connection try changing the monitor's settings from DP1.2 to DP1.1 or vice versa.

What kind of cable/connection are you using for the 970 to the 1440P monitor? If it is a native Display Port connection try changing the monitor's settings from DP1.2 to DP1.1 or vice versa.

Its connected via Dual-Link DVI cable. The problem was still there when using the 1080p monitors connected to the 970 as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back