Intel Core i7-3770
Graphics
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there —

Since I updated to High Sierra, I am running into an issue for which I am not certain how to make progress. The problem is that the screen starts getting all garbled—please, see screenshot. And it gets constantly worse until sometimes the operating system freezes. To me it would appear to be some memory corruption.

Before updating to High Sierra everything worked well. And even after I upgraded the main system to High Sierra, I still booted Sierra from a USB stick and this issue didn't happen there.

I have tried a number of things and nothing has worked so far:

• Change OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi with OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi
  • Change FakeSMC.kext with RehabMan's version
  • Use a CLOVER installation from the scratch
  • Install macOS on a USB stick to confirm that the issue keeps happening there
  • Play with some boot parameters

My system is rather standard for a Hackintosh, and except for some adventures with the Fusion Drive, it has always rather straight-forward to setup—still, given that it is a Hackintosh.

These are the drivers I use:

drivers64UEFI/AppleImageCodec-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/HFSPlus.efi
drivers64UEFI/AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/AppleUITheme-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/DataHubDxe-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/FirmwareVolume-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/FSInject-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/PartitionDxe-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/SMCHelper-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi

And the kexts:

FakeSMC.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext

System definition is iMac13,2.

Does it occur to anyone what else I could try or check to fix the issue?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 00.03.05.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 00.03.05.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 475
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 00.11.02.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 00.11.02.png
    179 KB · Views: 386
High Sierra broke the support of some kepler graphic cards, including your gtx660. No solution found.
Go back to Sierra or hope this will be fixed by apple.
Some people found that if your iGPU is working together with the gtx660 it solves the problem but I cannot test, no iGPU for core2duo.

Last edited:
Hi there —

Since I updated to High Sierra, I am running into an issue for which I am not certain how to make progress. The problem is that the screen starts getting all garbled—please, see screenshot. And it gets constantly worse until sometimes the operating system freezes. To me it would appear to be some memory corruption.

Before updating to High Sierra everything worked well. And even after I upgraded the main system to High Sierra, I still booted Sierra from a USB stick and this issue didn't happen there.

I have tried a number of things and nothing has worked so far:

• Change OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi with OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi
  • Change FakeSMC.kext with RehabMan's version
  • Use a CLOVER installation from the scratch
  • Install macOS on a USB stick to confirm that the issue keeps happening there
  • Play with some boot parameters

My system is rather standard for a Hackintosh, and except for some adventures with the Fusion Drive, it has always rather straight-forward to setup—still, given that it is a Hackintosh.

These are the drivers I use:

drivers64UEFI/AppleImageCodec-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/HFSPlus.efi
drivers64UEFI/AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/AppleUITheme-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/DataHubDxe-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/FirmwareVolume-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/FSInject-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/PartitionDxe-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/SMCHelper-64.efi
drivers64UEFI/OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi

And the kexts:

FakeSMC.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext

System definition is iMac13,2.

Does it occur to anyone what else I could try or check to fix the issue?

Thanks!

Since I updated to High Sierra, I am running into an issue for which I am not certain how to make progress. The problem is that the screen starts getting all garbled—please, see screenshot.

Just to clarify because the screen shots do not provide the location where they are captured:
  • Have you already completed the upgrade of your original macOS Sierra to High Sierra?
  • Are the "garbled screens" seen during reboot or after login onto the High Sierra Desktop?
  • The provided kexts from drivers 64UEFI folder are not very useful in this context; they are primarily dealing with early part of Booting on to the Clover Boot Manager (CBM) screen. The problem with those kexts would cause Kernel Panic preventing the Installer to reach the CBM screen.
  • The contents of your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder and the config.plist will be helpful in diagnosing the problem.
    • I suspect the problem to be a Graphics Issue.
    • What type of Monitor Cable is used to connect the Video card to your Monitor? Is it securely connected at both ends?
    • How have you configured your Video Card in the BIOS and in clover.config.plist?
      • Answers to the above may help in fixing the problem
      • You may share the screen shot of your "Other" folder and upload config.plist

My Other doesn't really have much:

[:/Volumes … LOVER/kexts/Other] master ± ll
drwxrwxrwx - unsleepable 8 Oct 16:34 FakeSMC.kext
drwxrwxrwx - unsleepable 25 Mar 2016 RealtekRTL8111.kext
[:/Volumes … LOVER/kexts/Other] master ±

And I am also attaching the config.plist.

It seems I missed this thread, though: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gtx-660-glitch-issue-with-macos-high-sierra-10-13.233101/ Apparently I got a bit too comfortable after a while of stability. Maybe I should have tested more before upgrading to High Sierra. :/

I can still try to fallback to the HD 4000. I could also reinstall Sierra and restore from backup, but I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Really, thanks for the help!

Attachments

• config.plist
    16.1 KB · Views: 237
Typical nVidia GK106 problem, GTX 650Ti/650Ti Boost/660/660Ti are all suffering from this problem.

Thanks for the feedback here! I have been able to fall back to the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics, and at least the issue is not occurring anymore. :) I guess I'll keep trying the GTX 660 when there are new OS updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back