Contribute
Register

Graphics display anomalies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP EliteBook 8460
CPU
i5 > Need full model number > See Rules!
Graphics
HD 3000
Does anyone else ever get weird boxes of pixels, from the graphics going weird? Some times they are square sometimes wide rectangles. Below is a picture. The anomalies seem to move with the window.

I am on an hp 8460p i7-2720QM with only HD3000.

I just bought the laptop off ebay. It came with a fresh win7 install and I noticed some flickering occur. However when i booted with a Ubuntu stick I didn't. Not sure if its a bad video card/chip?

Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 4.10.28 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 4.10.38 PM.jpg

Hm, I added the GraphicsEnabler=No to my boot args. And so far I haven't seen the anomalies. Weird. I thought that option was only if you had a radeon card?

Does anyone else ever get weird boxes of pixels, from the graphics going weird? Some times they are square sometimes wide rectangles. Below is a picture. The anomalies seem to move with the window.

I am on an hp 8460p i7-2720QM with only HD3000.

I just bought the laptop off ebay. It came with a fresh win7 install and I noticed some flickering occur. However when i booted with a Ubuntu stick I didn't. Not sure if its a bad video card/chip?

View attachment 84655

View attachment 84654

It can happen after rebooting from another system (Windows or Linux) -- do an EC reset if it is persistent.

It can also happen if your DSDT is not patched from your own native DSDT. If you used the ProBook Installer and have not done any hardware upgrades or BIOS upgrades in between then and now, you should have a properly patched DSDT.

- - - Updated - - -

Hm, I added the GraphicsEnabler=No to my boot args. And so far I haven't seen the anomalies. Weird. I thought that option was only if you had a radeon card?

For the ProBook, GraphicsEnabler should always be No.

These are called "gpu artifacts" and, in fact, there's a solution to them - check out "Graphic glitch fix" in the ProBook Installer.

These are called "gpu artifacts" and, in fact, there's a solution to them - check out "Graphic glitch fix" in the ProBook Installer.

Graphic Glitch Fix is largely unnecessary with a properly patched DSDT.

Graphic Glitch Fix is largely unnecessary with a properly patched DSDT.

Oh, didn't know that. I'll remove it then. I actually haven't seen any of these glitches for a long long time (and it was pretty much a daily occurance back in the good ol' lion days). Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back