ASUS Z370-A Prime
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi,

I’m currently running a GTX 760 GPU. It works fine but I can not enable the GPU support in Lightroom. Since I do professional photo processing I would love this acceleration to be available. I read in other threads that this is a common issue with these models of GPU.
I don’t really do a lot of gaming hence ultimate Graphics power is not critical. I was therefore thinking about this one here:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0722YF3VK/?tag=tonymacx8603-21
I like the idea of no fan and I expect that the performance will be sufficient.

Does anyone have experience with Lightroom (or Photoshop) GPU support on these 1030 GT GPU‘s?.

Greetings,
David

My 2c (fellow pro using LR and PS)
Before this GTX 970 I had the 760 and while it was a great card it was a shame that Adobe dropped support, well at least for hacks.
The 970 works but still has issues so I do suggest getting a 10 series cards since these are officially supported.
Are you using a 4K monitor? if so then I suggest you step up a bit from the 1030, the 1060 would fit all you need I reckon but it's pricey.
My next purchase will be AMD since these cards are known to perform better in OpenGL/CL and current and future macs are more AMD friendly.
If one only requires to use the 2 kexts mentioned just about anywhere on this forum then I would suggest you also get an AMD card in the same price range. I will go for the MSI RX580 Gaming when the time is ripe. Which brings me to my other suggestion, get an MSI gaming series card (Nvidia or AMD). These cards are very good performers and dead silent in apps (not games)
With a low performer you can get away with passive cooling though at times it will still run hot if your case airflow is not up for the task.
Good luck mate!

Hello Snowy

Thanks a lot for your detailed response. Very much appreciated you taking time to go into details.

I‘ll have a look at the AMD cards as you suggested. And will share my experience.

David

Hello Snowy,

I went for the GT 1030. It works really nice. Lightroom supports it and I recognise a significant performance increase.
Entirely silent and all I need!
I‘m just struggling now with Audio over the DP which does not work anymore since I swapped the cards.
Well eventually I might find a solution to this, too.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back