Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey gang,

I have the following build up and running 10.8.3:

Asus LGA 2011
Intel Xeon E5-2630

Chimera works to boot quickly off the drive, and I was able to update in MacOSX up to 10.8.3. Even got a few VMs up and running through Parallels.

The machine is to run up a few VMs of Mac OSX for clients to Screen Share into for demo purposes. I've done this, but when I VNC with whatever MacOSX comes with the WindowServer process goes through the ceiling, rendering screen sharing useless with the lag. This is a server EP variant process without any integrated graphics, so no hardware accelerated anything, and a paltry 5MB of "video memory" (or so says System Profiler). So I bought a video card: Asus GTX 560 Ti

I used the latest MultiBeast 5.2.1 to install all available Video drivers. When I plug in with the available DVI port I get post, bios, Chimera booting screen, and can even do options. It hits white with spinning deally and Apple logo, but never proceeds. I tried with Graphics Enabler On and Off, as well as a few other options I read around that helped people (PCIRootUID=0, npci=0x3000, -x for safe mode). Verbose shows getting through most everything, but eventually hits an empty prompt and hangs.

I'm going to look into a different VNC server for this, as eventually I want this machine to exclusively offer up these VMs and thats about it. Didn't think I'd need ANY graphical horsepower for this…

Any thoughts in either mitigating the WindowServer "issue", installing the GPU, or recommending a different VNC server?

Appreciate the feedback. Honestly, other than this issue, everything else about Unibeast/ Multibeast has worked flawlessly. Really incredible contribution - thanks!

~ Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back