Contribute
Register

Graphics Card Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just replaced my wonky, janky, junky GTX 970 with a Radeon RX 580 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y66K3XD/?tag=tonymacx86com-20). All I had to do to get that working out of the box was set the 'RadeonDeInit' flag in Clover. It will use the generic framebuffer, but as far as I could tell everything was working fine. It just showed up generic and metal only claimed to be 'Supported' without any specifics.

If you want to go a step further, though, you can tell clover to inject the BIOS from the card Apple is distributing in its eGPU development kit. Then it shows up completely supported in macOS. I don't know the wisdom of using a different vBIOS, but I've been using it that way for about a week now and nothing has exploded.

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 5.40.06 PM.png

Thanks man...

So I'm using a GTX 760 and it's working like a charm, OOB.... I've had this for like 3 years now. Are you telling me with all the other cards apple has added support for, none will work OOB like my current GTX760 does??????

Thanks man...

So I'm using a GTX 760 and it's working like a charm, OOB.... I've had this for like 3 years now. Are you telling me with all the other cards apple has added support for, none will work OOB like my current GTX760 does??????

Apple has used AMD GPUs for some time now, but the AMD GPUs have problems on hackintoshes that are only recently fixed. Some settings still need to be modified or some files have to be added for them to work, so it may not exactly be "OOB".

I just replaced my wonky, janky, junky GTX 970 with a Radeon RX 580 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y66K3XD/?tag=tonymacx86com-20). All I had to do to get that working out of the box was set the 'RadeonDeInit' flag in Clover. It will use the generic framebuffer, but as far as I could tell everything was working fine. It just showed up generic and metal only claimed to be 'Supported' without any specifics.

If you want to go a step further, though, you can tell clover to inject the BIOS from the card Apple is distributing in its eGPU development kit. Then it shows up completely supported in macOS. I don't know the wisdom of using a different vBIOS, but I've been using it that way for about a week now and nothing has exploded.

View attachment 300381
You do NOT need the BIOS from the Apple supported card to show cosmetics like "Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily v3".
You just need to inject the correct framebuffer name (Orinoco for RX580) and number of ports. All that can be done from Clover.

You do NOT need the BIOS from the Apple supported card to show cosmetics like "Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily v3".
You just need to inject the correct framebuffer name (Orinoco for RX580) and number of ports. All that can be done from Clover.

Good to know! I was using 'Dayman' (from the compatibility thread's chart) and it made me inject a name still. I'll have to try 'Orinoco' out. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back