Contribute
Register

Graphics Card Issue? - OSX Mavericks Installation HP Compaq DC7900 (Stuck at Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote a guide almost eight years ago and I no longer have my dc7900 but I do remember that it was very easy to install the OS. If you follow the guide it will work.

MultiBeast for Mavericks
Thank you, I installed it according to your guide and everything works smoothly. Even adding TRIM support for my SSD and PS2 kexts with MultiBeast was successful (though there is no click and hold support for the mouse so I replaced the mouse with an USB mouse). With the onboard graphics I am able to get a maximum resolution of 1600x1200 pixels (via boot argument/plist entry).
Since my NVIDIA Quadro graphics card is quite loud I decided to buy a 4GB NVIDIA GT730, which I was hoping would work out of the box, however even after installing the latest Web Drivers for Mavericks, I am only able to boot with the nv_disable=1 argument and am limited to a resolution of 1024x768. I changed the IGPEnabler entry in the Chimera boot plist ini the Extra folder to "No".The card is displayed as "NVIDIA Chip Model 3 MB". When booting without the nv_disable=1 argument the screen turns black at some point even in verbose boot mode.

Do you have any suggestion about what I could try to get the card accepted properly? I have to stick with Mavericks due to the software that I want to use. Thank you!

Attachments

• about_displays.png
    about_displays.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 52
  • systemreport_graphics.png
    systemreport_graphics.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
The Chimera boot loader uses the GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No boot argument.

Thank you, I got confused about the arguments. Unfortunately both options, Yes and No, don't change the situation. Is there anything else that I could do?

Thanks P1LGRIM, I did not find anything useful before, but after some more digging I found this thread which was really useful for understanding the whole issue. So for anyone facing the same issue, I recommend to check it out. The problem is that the card that I bought is a "Femi" card but only GT730 cards with a GK208 chip are compatible with MacOS.

I will replace the card with a suitable one and then the system should finally be up and running. Thanks again for your support!
There is only one more thing I am wondering: In your linked guide you mentioned that you transitioned to Clover at some point. Would there be any benefit for me to do that as well? More specifically, did you also transition to the VirtualSMC and WhatEverGreen kexts and does this lead to a performance improvement?

Not if you are ok with what you have.

No, my build was before those kexts were written.

Not that I know of

Perfect then, thanks. In this case I would recommend anyone trying to get OSX running on their HP7900 to follow P1LGRIMS guide. A Clover or OpenCore 7.9 (which was the version I tried) installation does require additional troubleshooting or might not work at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back