Graphics
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So, I want to build a hackintosh. I like the 2012 pro build configuration list, a lot, except for one element - graphics card.

I really need to run Solidworks, which is Windows only, and apparently only likes quadro cards from Nvidia or firegl or firepro from ATI. I also need to run Rhino. Even though it's coming out with a Mac version soon, the plugins and extras for it will be very far behind.

So, I'm thinking I'd like to build a system that is mac friendly but can also run windows. I'd like to have three storage drives total. 2 SSDs - one for each OS - and a mega storage drive, partitioned for each. I've had bootcamp running on a macbook pro in the past and, frankly, the machine didn't really like that too much. Two separate drives for each os seems like a good idea to me, is this, in fact, the good idea I think it is?

From that: given the Ivy Bridge CustoMac Pro Build configuration can I get both operating systems running on separate drives? I assume yes. But I'd really like to hear from those who know these things. If not, is there something I'm missing?

I'd prefer to work totally in Mac, but need softwares that are for tools that are not Macable as of yet.

So given that, what will it take to get a quadro or firegl or firepro into this system.

Thanks guys.

So, I found the wiki page for various graphics cards that have been tested and the quadro 4000 is on there as being compatible. But I've noticed on nvidia's website that the have the same card geared toward the different os's.

At this point I'm wondering if a card geared toward osx will have any problems when operating in windows, or vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back