Contribute
Register

Graphics card for Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
CPU
i5-2500
Graphics
hd3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Been using the built in HD 3000 graphics and need to upgrade to save what's left of my eyesight. Getting a Samsung UN55NU7100 for a TV/Monitor. Can anyone recommend a graphics card that will work with a Z68MA-D2H-B3? (Yes, it's old!). No gaming, just hours and hours of text; minimizing eye strain is my main and only goal. (With sharper TV as a bonus.) Thanks!

If you are running macOS Mojave you'll need to get at least an RX 560 by AMD. If using Sierra or High Sierra then the minimum card to get is a GT 1030 with DP 1.4. The reason for that is that HDMI 2.0 doesn't guarantee you'll get 4K at 60 Hz. It works sometimes with some 4K tvs. The surest way is to adapt DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 with an active adapter.

macOS Mojave you'll need to get at least an RX 560 by AMD.

So this XFX card would do the trick for Mojave? Never heard of XFX but it was the cheapest when I searched for RX 560. Sorry if I sound daft - I have no idea how I put all this together in the first place.

While I have your ear - do you have an opinion between a Samsung NU6900 and an NU7100? One site said the NU7100 is better as a monitor because it has more HDMI slots or something like that, but am I losing any resolution/image quality with an NU6900? Trying to fit card and TV/monitor into a budget of around 500 bucks and either I go 6900 instead of 7100 or shoot for 50 inches instead of 55. Thanks!

So this XFX card would do the trick for Mojave? Never heard of XFX but it was the cheapest when I searched for RX 560. Sorry if I sound daft - I have no idea how I put all this together in the first place.
Don't use the XFX RX560 as the bios is not compatible. Use MSI or Gigabyte if possible.
do you have an opinion between a Samsung NU6900 and an NU7100?
I've never owned either but from what I've read they should make a good monitor. I wouldn't get a 55" model if using it as a Customac monitor. 43" would be the largest I'd go with a 4K monitor. 55" would be a bit overwhelming to sit anywhere close to it.

Don't use the XFX RX560 as the bios is not compatible. Use MSI or Gigabyte if possible.
Now I'm really glad I asked!
55" would be a bit overwhelming to sit anywhere close to it.
I now stand about 5' - 6' from my ancient Samsung 46" at 1080p. Down from 6'-7' a year ago!

My thinking: I could use about a third of the 55" to have YTTV in a corner, that leaves about the same real estate as a 43-45" for the actual work apps? Or, have slow TV on the entire screen and position my app windows on top - fake working on the train from Bergen to Oslo or on a cruise around the fjords. The alternative is to get a 43" and keep the clunker to separately play TV on. Flaws? Thanks for your time - really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back