Contribute
Register

Graphic problems after Mavericks on nVidia cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
No solution yet unfortunately... I don't know where the problem is...

I'm still experiencing problems, but not sure if the problem is Mavericks yet. I went from Lion to Mavericks, so the problem could be in Mountain lion as well.
Anyways, the problem could be:
- The installation is messed up (unlikely...)
- Minecraft has problems under certain cards in Mavericks
- Java and nVidia has problems on Mavericks
- OpenGL problem

I'm not sure. All I know is that it runs smooth on Lion, doesn't on Mavericks on hackintosh, but runs perfectly on my MacBook Pro.

Please help! Is there anyway I can test the graphics card on both Lion and Mavericks to compare? Something not using OpenGL? Just to see if the experience is the same, so I can rule out the installation being the problem.

I have the exact same problem here with 10.9.1 on a GTX680OC from Gigabyte. :banghead::banghead:
In OSX I can't get more than 25-30fps. In Windows I can easily achieve over 100fps!
(I use a shader mod btw. But the performance is even bad if I dissable it in OSX)

The biggest problem in this case is that we really don't know where exactly the problem is.

nordemoniac listed some of the possible problems in one of his posts:

Anyways, the problem could be:
- The installation is messed up (unlikely...)
- Minecraft has problems under certain cards in Mavericks
- Java and nVidia has problems on Mavericks
- OpenGL problem

It won't be easy to check all of this possible problems. :cry:

I can't seem to find any Mavericks drivers. Do you have a link?

Well it's true that there are some nvidia drivers for mavericks but they are in beta. Here is a link to the topic: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/123974-nvidia-web-drivers-10-9-x-mavericks-found.html

Maybe this will boost the performance but I haven't tried it yet. :think:

Any information from you guys is much appreciated!!! ;)

Hope this thread isn't dead :rolleyes:

So, I'm digging up this thread again. I have the same experience with:
- Hackintosh i3 with 460GTX and 480GTX (G92)
- Hackintosh C2D with 9800GTX+ (G92)
- Mac Pro 3.1 with GTX285 (G200?)

All of these struggle with Minecraft. The Mac Pro should have much higher framerate than 40-60FPS, the other two are getting 20-40FPS, while getting 3x that in Windows or OS X Lion.

I'm fairly sure this is a problem with OpenGL (3.0 and 3.1 on these cards). It makes no sense, but something happened after Lion, probably from Yosemite or Mountain Lion (not tested). Minecraft is locked to OpenGL 2.1, so maybe there is something there? Poor OpenGL 2.1 performance...

Otherwise things seem to be as it should, but it seems as especially OpenGL software is struggling.

Anyone know what it could be? Are there problems with these exact graphics card chips?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back