Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ECS B460H6-EM
CPU
i7 10700
Graphics
RTX 3070/UHD 630
Hello, this is the first time I'm trying to build a hackintosh, so sorry if I'm doing something stupid.
I have a prebuilt PC with an RTX 3070 and an Intel i7 10700, and installed macOS with OpenCore.
Because macOS doesn't support my GPU, the "About This Mac" section first showed something like "Graphics: Display 22MB". It was also pretty laggy. I couldn't figure out a way to stop my PC from using the GPU, because the BIOS doesn't have an option to use the iGPU.
I then tried unplugging the GPU and sure enough, it showed "Graphics: Intel UHD 630 1553MB". Because i dual boot with Windows, unplugging and replugging is not a real option though.
Today i found a guide (https://dortania.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/Desktops/desktop-disable.html) and it seemed to work. I still have to boot with my display port cable plugged into the GPU, and when the boot sequence ends at "gIOLockScreenState" I switch to the mainboard.
But, I now have a weird problem. The "About This Mac" section doesn't show my graphics at all:
Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 22.42.59.png

Hardware acceleration seems to be working - I have transparency and everything feels smooth.
I also have really weird graphical glitches, with some images or whole windows not loading at all:
Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 22.46.01.png
Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 22.46.40.png

These glitches aren't consistent though, and change when I open or close programs, or even click on things.
Also, when shutting down, or sometimes when booting or just at random times, my system crashes.
Because of these two things, and the fact that "About This Mac" doesn't show any graphics, I think that the system may not know how much RAM is dedicated to the iGPU or just ignore it, and by overwriting it i get these weird errors. Is that possible? And if so, how could I fix that?
I also attached my config.plist if that helps.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• config.plist
    27.6 KB · Views: 76
Hello, this is the first time I'm trying to build a hackintosh, so sorry if I'm doing something stupid.
I have a prebuilt PC with an RTX 3070 and an Intel i7 10700, and installed macOS with OpenCore.
Because macOS doesn't support my GPU, the "About This Mac" section first showed something like "Graphics: Display 22MB". It was also pretty laggy. I couldn't figure out a way to stop my PC from using the GPU, because the BIOS doesn't have an option to use the iGPU.
I then tried unplugging the GPU and sure enough, it showed "Graphics: Intel UHD 630 1553MB". Because i dual boot with Windows, unplugging and replugging is not a real option though.
Today i found a guide (https://dortania.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/Desktops/desktop-disable.html) and it seemed to work. I still have to boot with my display port cable plugged into the GPU, and when the boot sequence ends at "gIOLockScreenState" I switch to the mainboard.
But, I now have a weird problem. The "About This Mac" section doesn't show my graphics at all:
View attachment 521064
Hardware acceleration seems to be working - I have transparency and everything feels smooth.
I also have really weird graphical glitches, with some images or whole windows not loading at all:
View attachment 521066View attachment 521067
These glitches aren't consistent though, and change when I open or close programs, or even click on things.
Also, when shutting down, or sometimes when booting or just at random times, my system crashes.
Because of these two things, and the fact that "About This Mac" doesn't show any graphics, I think that the system may not know how much RAM is dedicated to the iGPU or just ignore it, and by overwriting it i get these weird errors. Is that possible? And if so, how could I fix that?
I also attached my config.plist if that helps.
Thanks in advance.

Hi there.

Well we can only see the config.plist and not your SSDT, so we have to assume you coded it correctly.:thumbup:

I would recommend you try the Whatevergreen.kext boot-command "-wegnoegpu" as this should disable the RTX GPU.

Perhaps try disabling your SSDT for now and instead trying the boot-command, which goes in the NVRAM section of config.plist. Remember to ResetNVRAM from the OpenCore boot-menu so that it takes effect.

:)

I created the SSDT like shown in the guide, and I actually didn't have to change anything from the provided sample file, because my ACPI path happened to be the same.
I just tried using this boot-arg and disabling the SSDT, and it doesn't change anything. I still have to switch the display port cable from the gpu to the mainboard mid boot, and I still have the same graphic issues.

Hi there.

Well we can only see the config.plist and not your SSDT, so we have to assume you coded it correctly.:thumbup:

I would recommend you try the Whatevergreen.kext boot-command "-wegnoegpu" as this should disable the RTX GPU.

Perhaps try disabling your SSDT for now and instead trying the boot-command, which goes in the NVRAM section of config.plist. Remember to ResetNVRAM from the OpenCore boot-menu so that it takes effect.

:)
I created the SSDT like shown in the guide, and I actually didn't have to change anything from the provided sample file, because my ACPI path happened to be the same.
I just tried using this boot-arg and disabling the SSDT, and it doesn't change anything. I still have to switch the display port cable from the gpu to the mainboard mid boot, and I still have the same graphic issues.

Okay.

We are not Dortania so did not write the guide you used. I'm sure you did everything correctly.

Well, if creating a working SSDT does not work, and the Whatevergreen.kext built-in command to disable your GPU does not work either, then there are no other options I know of except checking the BIOS setting you are using. Assuming you set it to "Auto" if it has that one, the motherboard should select the corret output for the video signal. Not all BIOSs have an Auto setting, sometimes just initialise iGPU or PCIe first etc.

Okay.

We are not Dortania so did not write the guide you used. I'm sure you did everything correctly.

Well, if creating a working SSDT does not work, and the Whatevergreen.kext built-in command to disable your GPU does not work either, then there are no other options I know of except checking the BIOS setting you are using. Assuming you set it to "Auto" if it has that one, the motherboard should select the corret output for the video signal. Not all BIOSs have an Auto setting, sometimes just initialise iGPU or PCIe first etc.
My Bios doesn't have an auto setting, i can just disable or enable the igpu all together, but i can't choose wether to prefer the dedicated or the igpu.
And it's not like it doesn't work at all - like i said, graphic acceleration is working, i just have these graphic issues. Is there really no way to solve this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back