Graphics
GeForce GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Just wondering if anyone here is big into 3d design/animation. I really want to get back into it, and I may go the "legal" route of using Blender rather than trying to rip off a copy of Maya. I'm also trying to design my own apps and such, just wondering if anyone here uses a Hackintosh specifically for 3d development. I have a macbook pro, but I plan on building my own hackintosh because I want to be able to run 3d intensive renders/animations without having any issues. Thanks

I just don't like using windows at all. I actually got tired of it and started using Ubuntu, and first got into Blender through Linux. Just think Mac is more inclined towards graphic design, and I plan on developing heavily for Apple devices so might as well keep it all together. I want to try to keep everything on the same OS across the board to reduce any headaches of conflicts. Besides after using my MBP exclusively for the past few months, I just naturally like using OSX now.

UR most welcome to Hackintosh world....I hope u 'll find mackintosh more useful for ur requirement......I can't answer ur exact question because I'm not a Graphics/Animation guy :(

That's fine, I might build my Hackintosh around someone who uses video editing a lot. Maybe it's a stretch to say, but I believe video editing is much more intensive than anything else you can do on a computer. Although I'll have to see what works. I'd like to have one really nice computer I can do just about everything.

I do a lot of Photoshop/Cinema 4D on mine. Just limited to my CPU processing power at the moment. Wanting to upgrade to a better CPU, but don't have the cash. :(

u will find osx to be very usefull in your 3d or animation tasks.
but because u cant do sli on the mac yet u need to spend on a graphics card e.g. gtx 690 or quadro 5000 for frame rates
also a good multicore(i7) for processing the bits.
ime using a nvidia gtx 650 and a i7(x58) setup with maya with decent results.
for input i use a wacom(bamboo)tablet..

Blender works fine for me on my 5 year old MacBook with Lion (4 gigs RAM GMA X3100 graphics). But I don't do animation with it and I'm only just learning how to use it. I expect Blender and all my Adobe software will feel fast and responsive when I get my Hackintosh built.

Hi dude, just came across this post. I use Cinema 4D a lot, along with after effects for POST stuff.

I'm currently running an i5 3570k on a UD5H mobo, 16GB 1600mhz Vengeance ram and an EVGA GT 640 graphics card.

I find this adequate for most stuff, but due to the way Cinema 4D only uses i processor thread in the display port, if I'm doing complicated physics based animations etc, it can get a bit slow and cumbersome.

After effects is fine and there is a way to use the cuda cores from your nvidia card to boost your render times if you enable it (Bob Roche has a good how to video on youtube)

What did you go for spec wise in the end?

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back