Contribute
Register

Graphic card Modded, working on Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit late for the party, but here's something I want to point out.

Even though you edited the bios and CUDA-Z reads the matched frequency, it is likely you still run on the same speed as before.

I've done many tests and here are some results:
980ti WaterForce stock 1318Mhz+7000Mhz(Actually runs on 1060Mhz+7000Mhz)
螢幕快照 2017-07-20 下午11.38.05.png

(And sorry no CUDA-Z screenshot but rated 1318Mhz, which matched the spec of this card)

However, the result of custom vbios with 1506Mhz+7200Mhz:
螢幕快照 2017-07-22 上午3.26.07.png
螢幕快照 2017-07-22 上午3.27.23.png

I know there could be some margin of error but it doesn't make sense an overclocked vbios without overheating has no improvement and even worse score compared to a stock one.

And if you read the clock speed from HWMonitor, they are both running on 1060Mhz
螢幕快照 2017-07-22 上午3.40.02.png

So here's my conclusion, overclocking GPU by editing vbios for macOS is possible but you'll have to increase boost table a lot higher than the clock you want in order to achieve any clock gain over a "reference card"

What and why? From what I've experienced the way WebDriver works is it sees all vender cards as a reference card and with no GPU boost. Like our 980ti, the reference card has 1000Mhz base clock, boost up to 1075Mhz and +100Mhz max when GPU boost is available. So I think the number 1060Mhz from HWMonitor is correct, and the one from CUDA-Z is somehow...correct as well since it directly reads the data from vbios.

So what if we just increase the boost table as I just mentioned? Well, due to the base line difference between two systems(Win:Correct for card, Mac:Ref number), you will end up with either Win or Mac has unmatched voltage table so you can't get both of them running on the the clock you set at the same time. And that's the reason I ended up give up doing this unless some day NV or Apple fixed thsi issue.

I do not agree at all

Open CL with GB 4 (one after the other so no reboot or else)
Cuda (by all programs using this technology)
and all the rest
my one titan X OC runs much better than the stock one

i will upgrade the second one and post how cuda works

by the way the mod for Mac is different
i dont use "boost"
Capture d’écran 2017-08-04 à 22.48.08.png

A bit late for the party, but here's something I want to point out.

Even though you edited the bios and CUDA-Z reads the matched frequency, it is likely you still run on the same speed as before.

I've done many tests and here are some results:
980ti WaterForce stock 1318Mhz+7000Mhz(Actually runs on 1060Mhz+7000Mhz)
View attachment 267821
(And sorry no CUDA-Z screenshot but rated 1318Mhz, which matched the spec of this card)

However, the result of custom vbios with 1506Mhz+7200Mhz:
View attachment 267822 View attachment 267823
I know there could be some margin of error but it doesn't make sense an overclocked vbios without overheating has no improvement and even worse score compared to a stock one.

And if you read the clock speed from HWMonitor, they are both running on 1060Mhz
View attachment 267824

So here's my conclusion, overclocking GPU by editing vbios for macOS is possible but you'll have to increase boost table a lot higher than the clock you want in order to achieve any clock gain over a "reference card"

What and why? From what I've experienced the way WebDriver works is it sees all vender cards as a reference card and with no GPU boost. Like our 980ti, the reference card has 1000Mhz base clock, boost up to 1075Mhz and +100Mhz max when GPU boost is available. So I think the number 1060Mhz from HWMonitor is correct, and the one from CUDA-Z is somehow...correct as well since it directly reads the data from vbios.

So what if we just increase the boost table as I just mentioned? Well, due to the base line difference between two systems(Win:Correct for card, Mac:Ref number), you will end up with either Win or Mac has unmatched voltage table so you can't get both of them running on the the clock you set at the same time. And that's the reason I ended up give up doing this unless some day NV or Apple fixed thsi issue.

after tiny optimization and modification

here the results
it could be worst ;)
Capture d’écran 2017-08-09 à 02.30.57.png

by the way @The Veterant:
will you say that titan Xp is a dual titan X OC killer?

I just want to post this short video of my success installed and some benchmarks that I did with my 980Ti card, Im going to test my Titan Xp.

Also guys I just want to mention I download Davinci Resolve 15 from the Apps store the (free) version and I was having problems importing media to the project layout, then decide to deleted the App and went to Davinci's page and download theirs free version and WALLA everything working, transferring media on preferences recognize CUDA, METAL and OpenCL. Before with the Appstore version no CUDA showing did a test w/ couple media files and the scrubbing was flawless but a while after don't know if it was that I had too many things running on the background, the App froze but between my mackintosh and the App it self what more can you expect. The World its not perfect.

Video link:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back