Contribute
Register

graphic card for mini-ATX Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock 90 MXB670 A0UAYZ Motherboard Intel Z370 Black
CPU
Intel Core i7-8700K 6x3,7(Boost 4,7) GHz 12MB-L3 Cache Sockel 1151 (Coffee Lake)
Graphics
Intel UHD Graphics 630
Mac
  1. iMac
Hey hmac people! I have build hackintosh inside a SilverStone SST-ML05B, Milo Slim HTPC, Mini-ITX with a Asrock 90 MXB670 A0UAYZ Motherboard Intel Z370 Black. It works as a charm and it is semi-portable so I love it twice as much!
However the native graphic card sucks and I'm in the hunt for a rather good one that can fit the size of the box and being compatible (extra bonus, a VR-ready one that does not need an arm and a leg to purchase). The task is a bitch though.
Any suggestions?
Love you!

so far I have this graphic card in mind: Radeon RX 550 4GT LP OC
It seems small enough (low profile), inexpensive and it is an AMD. Not sure how difficult it is to set it up. Also, I not sure if there is a better quality one that is as small and compatible.

Check Radeon Pro WX 4100 (natively supported). It's really small. It's little expensive for what it does offer but if you space constrains then this is the card to go for.

Check Radeon Pro WX 4100 (natively supported). It's really small. It's little expensive for what it does offer but if you space constrains then this is the card to go for.
Thanx bufferOverflow for your suggestion! It seems rather pricy yes. I'll try to see if it makes sense for the price... BTW, do you think the Radeon-RX-550-4GT-LP-OC is compatible?

do you think the Radeon-RX-550-4GT-LP-OC is compatible?

@soklasokla,

Radeon-RX-550 is not listed in the AMD Compatibility Guide :-

MSI do however make a low profile version of the RX 560 which is supported :-

It costs only a little bit more than the RX 550 LP on Amazon, however it wont be powerful enough to run VR. For that your going to need a much more powerful and therefore larger GPU.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@soklasokla,

Radeon-RX-550 is not listed in the AMD Compatibility Guide :-

MSI do however make a low profile version of the RX 560 which is supported :-

It costs only a little bit more than the RX 550 LP on Amazon, however it wont be powerful enough to run VR. For that your going to need a much more powerful and therefore larger GPU.

Cheers
Jay
Thank you @jaymonkey !
I am aware of the RX 560 but it is harder to find it in Germany to order it. I ll try harder...
Thanx again everyone!

Last edited:
so far I have this graphic card in mind: Radeon RX 550 4GT LP OC
It seems small enough (low profile), inexpensive and it is an AMD. Not sure how difficult it is to set it up. Also, I not sure if there is a better quality one that is as small and compatible.

btw, for the record, I tried the Radeon RX 550 4GT LP OC and it was too large for the SilverStone SST-ML05B, Milo Slim HTPC, Mini-ITX. It only fit the size of a single slot. Somthing that Radeon Pro WX 4100 seems to be a good option for (not yet tested)

As suggested by jaymonkey, the Radeon Pro WX 4100 fits perfectly and it was instantly identified by my hackintosh. However, the native graphics cards is still the principal GPU that makes difficult to have control in the boot menu. Any ideas how to make the new Radeon card as the principal GPU for both the booting process and the MACOSX operating system?
Thanx in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back