Motherboard
MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi. I wanted to switch out my graphics card so i could upgrade to Catalina. Here's my build:

MB: MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
GC: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K 6 Core 3.7
Ram: G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16gb)
SS: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB
HD: Seagate 2 TB

Not sure if any of that was extraneous, or not enough, but I'm obviously new to this and want to make sure I purchase the right card that works with my build. Price range is not my primary concern, just looking for compatibility.

Help a brotha out? been stuck on high sierra for years - thanks

Last edited:
You do not want to use that Graphics card. there are no drivers. Pick something from the AMD 5xx series, Vega, VII, or 5700/5700xt.

You do not want to use that Graphics card. there are no drivers. Pick something from the AMD 5xx series, Vega, VII, or 5700/5700xt.

Do I just pick any one of those cards? I am aware that problems might arise, that is expected, but are there any specific cards that are best suited for my current build? (this will be replacing the GTX)

Do I just pick any one of those cards? I am aware that problems might arise, that is expected, but are there any specific cards that are best suited for my current build? (this will be replacing the GTX)

well, you are replacing a fairly high end card and you mentioned money is not really an issue. the 5700XT is the latest and greatest from AMD. If you are trying to get good power at a budget, go with Vega. I have a Vega 56 that I flashed the bios to a Vega 64, which gives you most of the power the 64 offers. The 5xx series would be your more budget options. The VII is what they are putting into the new Mac Pro. They will all work with your build the same and have good driver support as long as you are running the latest version of Catalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back