Contribute
Register

Graphic card advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have built manny Hack/PT HD rigs. Allmost all GPU's will work. What you will notice in ProTools is more detailed Waveform drawing and smoother scrolling during playback. Also some of the more visually busy plugins look better.
I would go no lower than a nvidia 9800 with at least a gig of ram.
The recommendation of a ATI 5770 compatible card is a good one. I've been using the Gigabyte HD5770 (Batman Card) with great results.
The other poster is correct about how high end you should go, I don't see much advantage going much past the 3 or $400 price point, unless you need to do some crazy GIS or medical imaging rendering.
To those that want quiet builds..... Stop putting your editing rig in the same room as you!
Better safe than sorry as Heat Destroys!
For under $500 you can extend everything DVI, USB, etc. Check monoprice.com

Cheers!

mistermarkd said:
case: antec solo, antec p180 p183, or any of the fractal design define cases
h67 mother board
i5 2500 or a 2600 if my programs make use of hyper threading
seasonic x400 fanless power supply
scythe mugen 2 (there are better options that cost more, but I liek the PWN fan that comes with the mugen)
If the computer has to be in the same room as the mics I would only use a SSD and have a file server in another room. if It is away from the mics I would use as few WD green drives as possible as the HDD will be the the source of the most noise.

Well, I'm about to set-up something I hope will be very quiet. Scythe Mugen 2 is on my list, too, but will try 1st with stock i5 760...

Anyway, for the case - I choose Scythe Gekkou Silent case, for it seamed the best value silent case I've found here (well, in Croatia..) Antec is almost 2×money. Scythe comes w/ two slipstreams 800rpm specd. as 10.x dB, and it has muffled sides and top.

I also took x400 FL, but for the HDD - check out WD AV-GP line - the same as GreenLine, but with IntelliSeek and SilkStream technologies...

Just my 5c, I'll surely put some words here when I set it up and running...

danijell said:
mistermarkd said:
case: antec solo, antec p180 p183, or any of the fractal design define cases
h67 mother board
i5 2500 or a 2600 if my programs make use of hyper threading
seasonic x400 fanless power supply
scythe mugen 2 (there are better options that cost more, but I liek the PWN fan that comes with the mugen)
If the computer has to be in the same room as the mics I would only use a SSD and have a file server in another room. if It is away from the mics I would use as few WD green drives as possible as the HDD will be the the source of the most noise.

Well, I'm about to set-up something I hope will be very quiet. Scythe Mugen 2 is on my list, too, but will try 1st with stock i5 760...

Anyway, for the case - I choose Scythe Gekkou Silent case, for it seamed the best value silent case I've found here (well, in Croatia..) Antec is almost 2×money. Scythe comes w/ two slipstreams 800rpm specd. as 10.x dB, and it has muffled sides and top.

I also took x400 FL, but for the HDD - check out WD AV-GP line - the same as GreenLine, but with IntelliSeek and SilkStream technologies...

Just my 5c, I'll surely put some words here when I set it up and running...

sounds nice. I'm using a mugen 2 in my new build too.

One of the reasons Antec is so expensive is they use REALLY thick steel. This is more effective than thin teal with foam padding. I like you will not be going with Antec. I'm getting a fractal design define or define mini case as soon as they are available in the US. The cases we are getting are very similar. I am VERY interested in the scythe case you are getting. Please post your thoughts on it.

I have a fractal design R2 case and love it !

Scythe Gekkou Silent

At 1st - case is great, much space inside for airflow, VERY quiet fans (2 x slipstreams), aesthetically beautiful (if u like simple design), no-tools HDD installation (included basic silencers for HDD).

I haven't tried anything "hard" for CPU to say about quality of airflow, but for the last two hours of installing, booting, etc - i don't hear my stock cooler!

So - for now - full recommendation for Scythe Gekkou Silent case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back