Contribute
Register

Graphic Card advice for FCP X - GTX 560 vs HD 6870 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Yosemite 10.10.2
CPU
Core i7 @3.8
Graphics
Geforce GTX 550 Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello, i'm looking to upgrade my graphic card especially to use with FCPX, my build is Asus P6x58d-E, 8 GB RAM, 120GB SSD, now with 10.7.4, later i'm gonna update to 10.8, but for now it is very good my build with Lion.

I read about the ATI cards are better for FCP, but i read too some issues with the instalation and some compatibility
The Geforce card i read about some issues too, like in this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/video/64737-final-cut-prox-nvidia-gtx-560-nonti.html

Any expert hack friend can help my next buy? The main use will be rendering in FCP X. I don't use Adobe programs, MAYBE i will use it, but im not sure about that, because i try premiere and it looked too hard to me to learn.

Thanks for your advices

I recently saw a compute benchmark list that had all the major cards... can't remember but it was probably Tom's or Anand.

Just pick the one highest up the list that you can afford.

Hi coelo, thanks for your attention.
The question is that , will FCP make the use of GPU when editting movies?? Geforce or ati will be good the same amount in FCP?

Thanks

Both nVidia and 6870 will work great with FCP.

As for CS6 apps, 6870 supports OpenCL which luckily Adobe has supported since the intro of Lion.

I took a screenshot of my Premiere. This is a list of all Hardware-Accelerated effects available in Premiere CS6 using 6870 video card.

6870cs6.jpg

Though, I seem to have serious trouble with the XFX6870 card. Quicktime or quicktime codecs wont work in my Avid based ProTools system. Nor will it preview files from finder or play silverlight, flash or quicktime.

I am looking for a new card, cause I simply give up the xfx6870.

Though, I seem to have serious trouble with the XFX6870 card. Quicktime or quicktime codecs wont work in my Avid based ProTools system. Nor will it preview files from finder or play silverlight, flash or quicktime.

Wait for the GTX 650 which runs on the same chip as 640. Should offer adequate performance while being 100% working oob (I assume).

Will the GTX work in Lion? 10.7.4?

Will the GTX work in Lion? 10.7.4?

Probably not since I think Lion doesn't have 5xx 6xx native support. Why are you on Lion anyways?

Pro Tools and most its third party software are not qualified for 10.8 yet, and usually the first updates suck, so I will probably need to wait 6 month at least. Meanwhile I would love to have stable graphics card ;)

Thanks ketilschei, i was hoping to get that kind of advice here, and i was just almost buying a 6870.
I gonna research a little bit more, because some guys post that the GTX 560 is not working for Final Cut rendering, and this is what i need, a GPU to use the power in FCPX.

Tahnks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back