Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370XP-SLI
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Hello there,

I'm hoping a knowledgable soul will be able to help me with some advice with upgrading a video editing/design rig primarily using Adobe software.

I've been stranded on 10.13.6 with a GTX 1070 (and an I7 8700k) which has been fine until Adobe stopped supporting CUDA in their software. This means using outdated software which will become problematic.

Since it's time to move to AMD and 10.15, I've been looking at the RX 5700 XT which is (hopefully) stable now with two screens. However, when researching I noticed that in terms of raw computing power the VEGA 64 would be a better choice since the Vega architecture is aimed at workstations whereas the Navi at gaming.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of this? I've looked a various benchmarks but obviously most point to gaming and others compare them in a Windows based system. There's also a lot of guess work from out of date threads on forums.

Choosing VEGA 64 would also mean I need to buy a new PSU - I've got a 650W on the go. I've also read that it's pretty noisy. And since it's three years old is it's life span now potentially very limited?

My budget is ~£400.

Thanks for any help that helps me stop chasing my tail around the same places on the internet!

TL;DR: Upgrading from GTX 1070 to AMD GPU for a vid editing/design rig using Adobe software - RX 5700 XT or VEGA 64?

you just need to search for adobe specific benchmarks. there are plenty of them
1587676201273.png

Thanks.

I had spotted that and I hope it's helpful in a direct comparison between those AMD cards, however, the Puget Systems benchmarks use Windows and obviously the Windows version of Premiere which can still use CUDA and I presume a different way of handling data.

1587715959285.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back