Contribute
Register

GPU that will play 4K 60hz video on Catalina/Big Sur out of the box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97-AR
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 570
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just bought a 4K 60hz monitor but my rig running Catalina at the moment has a GT 710 card which only does 4K @ 30hz.

What's a cheap card that will run 4K 60hz and should work out of the box?

Was thinking a RX 560 but are there any particular brands/models that are more likely to play nice with little to no tweaking?

The on-board Intel HD4600 does - Is there a reason why it can't here?

Only when through DisplayPort to a suitable monitor with DisplayPort input.

Just bought a 4K 60hz monitor but my rig running Catalina at the moment has a GT 710 card which only does 4K @ 30hz.

What's a cheap card that will run 4K 60hz and should work out of the box?

Was thinking a RX 560 but are there any particular brands/models that are more likely to play nice with little to no tweaking?
The Asus Z97-AR motherboard has a DisplayPort output port at the back, which should allow you to use CPU integrated graphics to output 4K@60Hz to a suitable monitor with DisplayPort input.

The Asus Z97-AR motherboard has a DisplayPort output port at the back, which should allow you to use CPU integrated graphics to output 4K@60Hz to a suitable monitor with DisplayPort input.

I didn't even think of the motherboard. How do I check if the onboard graphics are even enabled?

I didn't even think of the motherboard. How do I check if the onboard graphics are even enabled?
You will have to go into the motherboard BIOS setup and check the settings there.

You will have to go into the motherboard BIOS setup and check the settings there.

I'm an idiot.

So I went into the BIOS and changed "CPU Graphics Multi-Monitor" setting to "Enabled" which was fine.

But then I changed "Primary Display" to "CPU Graphics" to test it with my current monitor, totally forgetting that it's DVI-D and my mobo only has DisplayPort and HDMI.

So now, I can't boot back into the BIOS to change Primary Display back to "Auto". Weirdly, it boots straight into Catalina (takes awhile though).

My new monitor won't arrive for awhile so I guess I'll have to buy a DVI-D to HDMI cable and hook it up to my mobo HDMI to boot back into the BIOS and change that setting.

Or is there another way to get into the BIOS?

Bios reset will do it - remove battery for 20 mins or follow M/board instructions

Bios reset will do it - remove battery for 20 mins or follow M/board instructions

Thanks, that's what I figured. Wish I would've saved my settings.

Should be getting the DVI to HDMI cable today so I'll probably just wait and try hooking up my monitor to the onboard graphics first.

So I got the DVI to HDMI cable and connected it to the motherboard HDMI output. I'm able to boot into my BIOS now but with "Primary Display" set to "CPU Graphics", I get the Clover boot screen but then it just keeps looping back to the Asus logo.

I tried changing "Primary Display" back to "Auto" but then I was getting no signal to my monitor at all. I had to switch to the HDMI on my video card to get a signal again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back