Contribute
Register

gpu temperature info rx 580 8gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my build it is 60° +-2° GPU fan speed around 800 rpm, Think we should get some baseline in this thread with below command

ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Clock\|%\|Power'
"Device Utilization %"=5
"Fan Speed(%)"=34
"Core Clock(MHz)"=1366
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"GPU Activity(%)"=0
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=801
"Temperature(C)"=61
"Total Power(W)"=148

Last edited:
It is normally below 50ºC when not fully loaded. For RX 580, fans stop when the temperature is below 50ºC.

"Device Utilization %"=0
"Fan Speed(%)"=0
"Core Clock(MHz)"=662
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=300
"GPU Activity(%)"=7
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0
"Temperature(C)"=46
"Total Power(W)"=31

@Bustycat - look at your frequencies and power usage!! What brand is it?

I dont think there is something called Normal as it depends on number of displays, resolution, load etc. I booted my hack into Windows and extracted the RX580 BIOS with GPU-Z then used PBE to look at settings. It shows that the ~60° I normally see is below Medium Temperature. Anyway I did play around with the fan's and changed one of them to extract air - also it was moved to top of case and average temperature is now ~56°

As many air-cooled graphic cards are dependent on ambient temperature (they basically just move air around within cabinet) I believe the number of extracting fans should be => than intake fans.

Polaris_RX580_revA.jpg

Attachments

• Polaris_RX580_revA.jpg
    Polaris_RX580_revA.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 136
@Bustycat - look at your frequencies and power usage!! What brand is it?

I dont think there is something called Normal as it depends on number of displays, resolution, load etc. I booted my hack into Windows and extracted the RX580 BIOS with GPU-Z then used PBE to look at settings. It shows that the ~60° I normally see is below Medium Temperature. Anyway I did play around with the fan's and changed one of them to extract air - also it was moved to top of case and average temperature is now ~56°

As many air-cooled graphic cards are dependent on ambient temperature (they basically just move air around within cabinet) I believe the number of extracting fans should be => than intake fans.

View attachment 417894
Even when is fully loaded with some intense games like Overwatch, the maximum temp was only 75 to 77 ºC. It would quickly cool down to below 50 ºC after turning off any game.

Attachments

• GPU-Z Sensor Log Overwatch 20190713T090612Z.png
    GPU-Z Sensor Log Overwatch 20190713T090612Z.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 207
With 1 Display turned off in my hack, temp dropped to 44°

Currently running vanilla 10.14.6, LILU 1.3.7, WEG 1.3.2 with a Radeon RX 580 8GB Sapphire NITRO+ I'm running around 50° during normal non-intensive usage.

"Device Utilization %"=4
"Fan Speed(%)"=0
"Core Clock(MHz)"=695
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2100
"GPU Activity(%)"=0
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0
"Temperature(C)"=50
"Total Power(W)"=104

I would love to hear how Bustycat keeps the wattage so low, if that reporting of 31W is from 10.14. I know it idles in the thirties in a win env.

Currently running vanilla 10.14.6, LILU 1.3.7, WEG 1.3.2 with a Radeon RX 580 8GB Sapphire NITRO+ I'm running around 50° during normal non-intensive usage.

"Device Utilization %"=4
"Fan Speed(%)"=0
"Core Clock(MHz)"=695
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2100
"GPU Activity(%)"=0
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0
"Temperature(C)"=50
"Total Power(W)"=104

I would love to hear how Bustycat keeps the wattage so low, if that reporting of 31W is from 10.14. I know it idles in the thirties in a win env.
Do you have 1 or 2 display?, I believe bustycat had 1back in June

Still seeing over 100W of power consumption on my Radeon RX 580 8GB Sapphire NITRO+, currently running vanilla 10.14.6, LILU 1.3.7, WEG 1.3.2. Single 4K monitor.

I would absolutely love to see that power usage get down to normal levels from my win installation, and a cooler card as a result. I know from win that it's possible, and wondering why it uses all this power and get so much warmer in hack (10.14.6) installation. Always been like this.

How does @Bustycat get so low power usage?

I get this by iStat and ioreg:

Screenshot 2019-10-21 at 17.55.56.png

Memory Clock often sticks at 2,1 GHz after some usage. It falls back after restart, but even then power usage and temperature is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back