CPU
i3-2105
Graphics
EVGA GTX 650
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
A few years back I helped a buddy build a hack and it's been running High Sierra well since. With the system running well, he chose to use it as is without updates/upgrades. This weekend, he tried to update Garageband and made the mistake of allowing an OS upgrade to occur, probably to Mojave, and the system is booting to a blank screen.

I've pushed him recently to consider upgrading to Catalina once it's reported stable for hacks. It appears we need to accelerate the upgrade. He's running an i5-4570S and his current card is a 750ti which is not compatible with Mojave/Catalina. I'm trying to decide which card would be the best fit to the limitation of his i5 while still being compatible with Mojave/Catalina without overbuying a GPU that makes the CPU the bottleneck. I think the RX 460 is affordable and supported, but it also appears to be roughly on par with the 750 ti. Can anyone recommend the best GPU fit for his needs? He is a graphic designer and plays some games from time to time, but nothing graphics intensive.

Thanks

Rx570 is good, ~$120 on ebay.

Rx570 is good, ~$120 on ebay.

Thanks. This was my instinct, but good to get other opinions. Thankfully, I swapped his 750 ti for my old 650 and it booted. After updating the gpu drivers, he is back in business. Told him to prep for a new GPU and upgrade to Catalina come November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back