Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700k @4.2ghz
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4095 MB
Hello, this is my first post here so apologies if i ask dumb questions or seem a bit misinformed. because i am.

A few months back, a good friend of mine turned my PC into a hackintosh. For the sole reason i wanted LOGIC instead of the other DAW's i would use. All is fine, and i currently have high sierra 10.13.6 (17G66) installed and were all cool. Imessage wont work, but it's whatever. NOW THEN, im gonna list my specs now so they're easily available when someone sees this and wants to know

Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
CPU: intel core i7 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4095 MB
RAM: 16gbs

Ok, so here it goes:

I want to use this computer, for gaming. I do not want to lose Logic and MacOS, if possible. I am aware there are a few ways to go about gaming through windows, (i play tons of battlefield and COD) but i was told my best bet would be to buy a samsung pro SSD, and install windows on that. Im assuming then at boot up i'd choose if i want to boot windows or MacOs? That seems simple enough, but tbh i have no clue how to do it, since i didnt do the hackintosh build myself either.

NOW THEN:

If, and big if, i'm able to do this myself and have two seperate OS's thats awesome. I can pick mac for when i do music, and windows for when i want to play. But my question overall is for this next part. My current GPU is kinda meh, i want to upgrade so i can play things like warzone, battlefield, etc, but i know there might be compatibility issues with certain GPu's on the hackintosh. I noticed theres a gpu guide but it seems like all of them are AMD, and im confused because i currently have an nvidia and it works... I saw the 5700 or whatever, and it's better than my current, but you all seem to be a bit better at this than I am.

TLDR: I want to get a new GPU under 350usd that wont break my hackintosh, but that will give me fun times on games like cod and bf.
plz help.

Apologies for this reply not being on point, but I'm curious exactly what "meh" means in regard to your GTX 1050 Ti. Have you run "Heaven" and "Valley" on it and recorded the frames per second in "Benchmark" mode? For a reference, here are my numbers with that graphics card. I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6 (build 17G14033) on the following hardware (my "Mini ITX 3" computer below):
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370N-WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 (65 watt TDP, 3.2 GHz)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4095 MB
RAM: 16 GB

So here are my "Heaven" and "Valley" results at 1920 x 1080 resolution (full screen), "Ultra" quality mode, but anti-aliasing OFF. If you consider these results "meh," I understand. But if your performance is much less under the same test conditions, you might want to try some troubleshooting.

2020-09-27 Heaven 17G14033.jpg2020-09-27 Valley 17G14033.jpg

For comparison, below are the results, under the same benchmark test conditions, of my "Mini ITX 4" computer (at left and below) which is running MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 (build 19H2) on the following hardware:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K (95 watt TDP, 3.6 GHz)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 Nitro+
RAM: 32 GB

2020-09-30 Heaven 19H2.jpg2020-09-30 Valley 19H2.jpg

While the RX 580 results are superior, keep in mind that the GTX 1050 Ti uses only 75 watts, whereas the RX 580 consumes 16 watts at idle but up to 224 watts at full load. My GTX 1050 Ti is in a Thermaltake SD101 case with a built-in power supply of 180 watts and it works fine. The RX 580 is in a CoolerMaster Elite 130 case, is about 13 inches long, and is powered by a Corsair 650 watt ATX power supply. Something to think about...

Last edited:
Hello, this is my first post here so apologies if i ask dumb questions or seem a bit misinformed. because i am.

A few months back, a good friend of mine turned my PC into a hackintosh. For the sole reason i wanted LOGIC instead of the other DAW's i would use. All is fine, and i currently have high sierra 10.13.6 (17G66) installed and were all cool. Imessage wont work, but it's whatever. NOW THEN, im gonna list my specs now so they're easily available when someone sees this and wants to know

Ok, so here it goes:

I want to use this computer, for gaming. I do not want to lose Logic and MacOS, if possible. I am aware there are a few ways to go about gaming through windows, (i play tons of battlefield and COD) but i was told my best bet would be to buy a samsung pro SSD, and install windows on that. Im assuming then at boot up i'd choose if i want to boot windows or MacOs? That seems simple enough, but tbh i have no clue how to do it, since i didnt do the hackintosh build myself either.

NOW THEN:

If, and big if, i'm able to do this myself and have two seperate OS's thats awesome. I can pick mac for when i do music, and windows for when i want to play. But my question overall is for this next part. My current GPU is kinda meh, i want to upgrade so i can play things like warzone, battlefield, etc, but i know there might be compatibility issues with certain GPu's on the hackintosh. I noticed theres a gpu guide but it seems like all of them are AMD, and im confused because i currently have an nvidia and it works... I saw the 5700 or whatever, and it's better than my current, but you all seem to be a bit better at this than I am.

TLDR: I want to get a new GPU under 350usd that wont break my hackintosh, but that will give me fun times on games like cod and bf.
plz help.

The reason you see everyone recommend an AMD is because Nvidia and Apple are not playing nice and have parted ways. So you will be stuck with High Sierra at best, and I'm not sure if the newest Nvidia cards will be supported on macOS of any version. Your only choice is AMD, which is fine because they have decent cards with the 5700XT. You can run most any 5700XT but the Sapphire branded cards are usually the best supported. Others can and will usually work fine, but you could get unlucky.

It has been seen that macOS already has beta support for RDNA2 cards, though don't expect great support right away because it usually takes a while everything to come together to support a new generation graphics technology. Rumor has it that the new AMD cards will compete pretty well with Nvidia so you won't have to sacrifice too much to go both ways.

So to sum it up, I suspect you will be wanting a 5700 or 5700XT from Sapphire next month when the prices drop as a result of AMD and Nvidia releasing their new cards. BTW, you can find some pretty good deals on Amazon from the Amazon Warehouse.

Hello, this is my first post here so apologies if I ask dumb questions or seem a bit misinformed. because I am.

A few months back, a good friend of mine turned my PC into a hackintosh. For the sole reason i wanted LOGIC instead of the other DAW's i would use. All is fine, and i currently have high sierra 10.13.6 (17G66) installed and were all cool. iMessage won't work, but it's whatever. NOW THEN, im gonna list my specs now so they're easily available when someone sees this and wants to know

Ok, so here it goes:

I want to use this computer, for gaming. I do not want to lose Logic and MacOS, if possible. I am aware there are a few ways to go about gaming through windows, (i play tons of battlefield and COD) but i was told my best bet would be to buy a samsung pro SSD, and install windows on that. I'm assuming then at boot up i'd choose if i want to boot windows or MacOS? That seems simple enough, but tbh I have no clue how to do it, since I didn't do the hackintosh build myself either.

NOW THEN:

If, and big if, I'm able to do this myself and have two separate OS's that's awesome. I can pick mac for when i do music, and windows for when i want to play. But my question overall is for this next part. My current GPU is kinda meh, i want to upgrade so i can play things like warzone, battlefield, etc, but i know there might be compatibility issues with certain GPu's on the hackintosh. I noticed there's a gpu guide but it seems like all of them are AMD, and im confused because i currently have an nvidia and it works... I saw the 5700 or whatever, and it's better than my current, but you all seem to be a bit better at this than I am.

plz help.

Why all recommended cards are AMD? Simple, since recent Nvidia cards like yours and the RTX cards are no longer supported on recent MacOS versions such as Mojave (10.14.6) and Catalina (10.15.6 / 10.15.7).

An AMD RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT card (much better than your 1050 Ti) is supported on MacOS Catalina and later, but is not supported on MacOS High Sierra, which is the version of MacOS you have running on your computer. If you want to upgrade to a recent AMD card, you will also have to upgrade to MacOS Catalina which means installing MacOS Catalina on your system replacing High Sierra, and you have to install all the apps once the new MacOS is installed and configured. I suppose you have no idea how to do all of this?

It is possible to setup a dual boot system with MacOS Catalina and Windows 10. So yes, your wish is doable, but you will have to read through some guides to see how to do this yourself, especially on how to install and configure MacOS.

If you want to upgrade to a recent AMD card, you will also have to upgrade to MacOS Catalina
FWIW, my AMD RX 580 Nitro+ worked fine under Mojave 10.14.6. And remember, Catalina will not run 32-bit apps whereas Mojave will. Contrary to prevailing opinions on this forum (and elsewhere) I have a problem with recent versions of the MacOS restricting end user's options (i.e. graphics card vendors and apps). Personally, I'm considering downgrading my best computer back to High Sierra. (But that's just me.)

FWIW, my AMD RX 580 Nitro+ worked fine under Mojave 10.14.6. And remember, Catalina will not run 32-bit apps whereas Mojave will. Contrary to prevailing opinions on this forum (and elsewhere) I have a problem with recent versions of the MacOS restricting end user's options (i.e. graphics card vendors and apps). Personally, I'm considering downgrading my best computer back to High Sierra. (But that's just me.)

Yes, I am quite aware that a RX 580 will work and in fact I am using one in my system to run MacOS Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina. But the RX 580 is no longer a "recent" card as it was released more than 3 years ago (although it is still being sold new).

Perhaps I should have stressed that by "recent cards" I mean the RX 5x00 series, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back