1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi

ATM I'm currently working with a mac pro 3,1 (eight core) machine and I'm trying to install 10.14. I haven't been here in a while so I hope I don't get yelled at for asking something wrong or something equally dumb.

ATM I am running an El Capitan install that was cloned from my beloved 1,1, which I had EL C installed to. ATM my 3,1 has an R7 370 (R7 270X) in it and it runs great and all, but why doesn't later OSX pick it up? Why does OSX treat it as a 7000 series GPU? Is there a kext I can use to fix this? Or should I bite the bullet and buy a new GPU outright?

Again, IDK if this is the right place to ask, but you guys are the people who would actually know, not someone giving half of an answer on another site and then never being heard from again.

Welcome to the Forum, @Aremis! I recommend you check out the threads in the MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section. However, having said that, is your R7 370's BIOS mod'd with an Apple compatible EFI code? (Like described in the Netkas Forum?) If not, that's probably the reason About This Mac and System Information shows the 370 as a 7000 series graphics card.

Welcome to the Forum, @Aremis! I recommend you check out the threads in the MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section. However, having said that, is your R7 370's BIOS mod'd with an Apple compatible EFI code? (Like described in the Netkas Forum?) If not, that's probably the reason About This Mac and System Information shows the 370 as a 7000 series graphics card.

Wait wait wait I can do that? So its not a hardware compatibility issue, its just whitelist checks... Alright. Thank you sir I knew someone would have a lead.

Hi

ATM I'm currently working with a mac pro 3,1 (eight core) machine and I'm trying to install 10.14. I haven't been here in a while so I hope I don't get yelled at for asking something wrong or something equally dumb.

ATM I am running an El Capitan install that was cloned from my beloved 1,1, which I had EL C installed to. ATM my 3,1 has an R7 370 (R7 270X) in it and it runs great and all, but why doesn't later OSX pick it up? Why does OSX treat it as a 7000 series GPU? Is there a kext I can use to fix this? Or should I bite the bullet and buy a new GPU outright?

Again, IDK if this is the right place to ask, but you guys are the people who would actually know, not someone giving half of an answer on another site and then never being heard from again.

Is this a real MacPro? I think Sierra is the highest you can go with a 3.1 System definition. Do you have another Skylake System you’re trying to use 14.1 for?

The HD 7xxx graphics card naming is only cosmetic and won’t effect the performance of the card. You can edit the kext but it will take a few things. First update to the latest El Capitan. Then download iHex and Kextbeast (here in downloads) apps. Go to your system folder: System/Library/Extensions folder and then find the AMDRadeon7000Controllerkext. Drag it to the desktop. Create a new folder and place it there as a backup. Now drag another copy to the desktop.

Right click on the desktop copy and choose “show package contents”. Go to the MacOS folder and drag the file to the desktop. Open iHex and drag the file into the window on the left. Now go to top tool bar and select “edit” scroll to “find” then scroll over to “find”. Text windows will appear in iHex, select the “text” option. Now type in HD 7xxx in the top text window and hit the tab on the upper right side “find”. It’s should pop up yellow for a second. Now type in the second box or lower one on the top left “R7 370 “ (make sure to leave a space after the 370 as shown above). Next hit the “replace” tab on the right top side. It should blink once check to see that it replaced the name. Now go to top tool bar and hit File/ Save. Close the app and drag the controller file back to the open kext box and place it in the MacOS folder (hold it over the blue folder). It should give you the replace option. If not cancel and try again. Next make sure that the only kext 7000controllerkext. Is on your desktop. Kexts in folders like the backup are ok. Open KextBeast and run through the prompts and select System/Library/Extensions not Library/Extensions option. Run app. Reboot and test.

Is this a real MacPro? I think Sierra is the highest you can go with a 3.1 System definition. Do you have another Skylake System you’re trying to use 14.1 for?

The HD 7xxx graphics card naming is only cosmetic and won’t effect the performance of the card. You can edit the kext but it will take a few things. First update to the latest El Capitan. Then download iHex and Kextbeast (here in downloads) apps. Go to your system folder: System/Library/Extensions folder and then find the AMDRadeon7000Controllerkext. Drag it to the desktop. Create a new folder and place it there as a backup. Now drag another copy to the desktop.

Right click on the desktop copy and choose “show package contents”. Go to the MacOS folder and drag the file to the desktop. Open iHex and drag the file into the window on the left. Now go to top tool bar and select “edit” scroll to “find” then scroll over to “find”. Text windows will appear in iHex, select the “text” option. Now type in HD 7xxx in the top text window and hit the tab on the upper right side “find”. It’s should pop up yellow for a second. Now type in the second box or lower one on the top left “R7 370 “ (make sure to leave a space after the 370 as shown above). Next hit the “replace” tab on the right top side. It should blink once check to see that it replaced the name. Now go to top tool bar and hit File/ Save. Close the app and drag the controller file back to the open kext box and place it in the MacOS folder (hold it over the blue folder). It should give you the replace option. If not cancel and try again. Next make sure that the only kext 7000controllerkext. Is on your desktop. Kexts in folders like the backup are ok. Open KextBeast and run through the prompts and select System/Library/Extensions not Library/Extensions option. Run app. Reboot and test.

Yes I'm working with real hardware. El Cap is the highest you can go on stock, but you can force it to run higher OS. It just doesn't want to display anything. Since the 370 is just a 270X I didn't think it'd be an issue, but when I boot the machine into the installer it doesn't display anything, and atm I don't have another GPU to install with. I bet if it booted into the OS it'd be fine, but its the whole deal of..... doing that.

Also I'll be installing OSX, one way or another, to my GS63VR 6RF here soon. I just want to have an actual base to work from that isn't 10.11 or 10.10.

Last edited:
Wait so ok does anyone know why it doesn't display then?

Using Sierra with two GTX1080 or GTX 1080ti open cL works.
On High Sierra with two GTX 1080 or GTX 1080ti open cL only runs on one GPU.
Anyone else notice this?
Any way to get open cl on two GTX 1080?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back