Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ABIT IG -81
CPU
Pentium 4
Graphics
Nvidia quadro Fx 580
Hi,
I wonder if a problematic kext can cause hardware damage in a gpu....
I have an intel gma X3100 laptop that was working good with osx lion .
I want to update it a little bit to osx Mountain Lion .
All went fine until i try to use Firefox. When I open Firefox and visit a page , instead of javascript i see GPU distortion image.
Also after I try to open a PDF in Firefox I see the same distortion image again.
Finally I install chrome , and chrome works perfectly fine. ....
Also now I have mouse lag issues.
One of my friends tell me that when try to install ML on his macbook 4,1 with MLPostFacor get similar results, and now he use chrome instead of Firefox.
Does this mean that we have problematic Kexts? Can this Kexts destroy the laptop GPU entirely or cause any damage?

Hi,
I wonder if a problematic kext can cause hardware damage in a gpu....
I have an intel gma X3100 laptop that was working good with osx lion .
I want to update it a little bit to osx Mountain Lion .
All went fine until i try to use Firefox. When I open Firefox and visit a page , instead of javascript i see GPU distortion image.
Also after I try to open a PDF in Firefox I see the same distortion image again.
Finally I install chrome , and chrome works perfectly fine. ....
Also now I have mouse lag issues.
One of my friends tell me that when try to install ML on his macbook 4,1 with MLPostFacor get similar results, and now he use chrome instead of Firefox.
Does this mean that we have problematic Kexts? Can this Kexts destroy the laptop GPU entirely or cause any damage?

X3100 support was dropped along with 32-bit in ML (ML is 64-bit only).

X3100 support was dropped along with 32-bit in ML (ML is 64-bit only).
Thanks for quick reply.
I get little confused because there is 64 bit windows drivers for this cards. But i didn't know that internally works as 32 bit. Now I understand that there is no 64 bit official Kexts for it , and understand that the development of kexts is different than the driver.
I like mountain lion more than lion, because have xcode 5 and because the laptop is faster and silent with it . Also I know that I cant go upper than the Mountain Lion, without loss gpu acceleration completely.
I want to stay in Mountain Lion ,but I don't know if the long term use of this patched kexts can cause any hardware damage ...
I can use only chrome on this machine that not produce any distorted image.
If there is a problem with gpu, Is there any method to track where is the problem, Can osx log files help me with it?

Thanks for quick reply.
I get little confused because there is 64 bit windows drivers for this cards. But i didn't know that internally works as 32 bit. Now I understand that there is no 64 bit official Kexts for it , and understand that the development of kexts is different than the driver.
I like mountain lion more than lion, because have xcode 5 and because the laptop is faster and silent with it . Also I know that I cant go upper than the Mountain Lion, without loss gpu acceleration completely.
I want to stay in Mountain Lion ,but I don't know if the long term use of this patched kexts can cause any hardware damage ...
I can use only chrome on this machine that not produce any distorted image.
If there is a problem with gpu, Is there any method to track where is the problem, Can osx log files help me with it?

What is available on Windows not relevant to OS X.
There are 64-bit kexts for X3100 from early betas of ML, but they are betas...

Oh ! That's why there's some errors! So , i suppose that the gpu will not harm in any point and only that is some incompatibility issues , that will not harm the chip...
Thanks for the information! Thanks for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back