Contribute
Register

GPU for MacOS Monterey/Ventura 5000/6000 or RX 500 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus M5A97 rev 2.0
CPU
FX-8120
Graphics
RTX 3060 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello, I am thinking about the following GPU to buy for a new hackintosh:

RX 5700
RX 5700 XT
RX 6600
RX 6600 XT
RX 6700
RX 6700 XT

RX 580 (varies in range of $260-$1,500 CAD)
RX 560
RX 550

Vega 56/64 gpu's are very expensive ($1,000+ CAD)

mainly sapphire brand, what about ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI..etc. Which specific models should I consider?

Now, since monterey is outgoing and Ventura is coming in, I am looking for advice as to which GPU purchase. On dortania it says that Navi 23 series graphics cards are supported now (since Monterey - 12.1), so my guess is I should get the 6600/6600 XT ? nAny professional suggestions lol ?

https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html#native-amd-gpus

Why are sapphire graphics card recommended on tonymacx86? They seem to be more expensive than ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE. Also, why is it only RX 5700 XT recommended from the CustoMac buyer's guide?

Hello, I am thinking about the following GPU to buy for a new hackintosh:

RX 5700
RX 5700 XT
RX 6600
RX 6600 XT
RX 6700
RX 6700 XT

RX 580 (varies in range of $260-$1,500 CAD)
RX 560
RX 550

Vega 56/64 gpu's are very expensive ($1,000+ CAD)

mainly sapphire brand, what about ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI..etc. Which specific models should I consider?

Now, since monterey is outgoing and Ventura is coming in, I am looking for advice as to which GPU purchase. On dortania it says that Navi 23 series graphics cards are supported now (since Monterey - 12.1), so my guess is I should get the 6600/6600 XT ? nAny professional suggestions lol ?

https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html#native-amd-gpus

Why are sapphire graphics card recommended on tonymacx86? They seem to be more expensive than ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE. Also, why is it only RX 5700 XT recommended from the CustoMac buyer's guide?

Hello.

The RX 6700 models are NOT supported in macOS.

The RX 550 model is very tricky because it depends of the model of chipset it uses. Generally you should avoid them. You might get lucky with the one you buy and find it has a Baffin core but usually they are Lexa cores. These are the problem. Sometimes you may be able to "spoof" a different Device-ID and get them working, but this is in no way guaranteed.

There is nothing wrong with Asus, Gigabyte or MSI GPU brands. XFX has sometimes been problematic - mostly with their RX 560 models - due to them using custom VBIOS's. Obviously this only affects macOS.

We have many threads discussing the compatibility of different chipsets. The "Search" option, top-right of the screen, is always your friend here.

Thanks for the information, i had been wondering about other brands maybe there is something different with sapphire over other brands since the other brands can differ by price by quite alot

I never considered Sapphire as its cards are very few here with a very short warranty. The page is just a reference as a sponsor.

I would recommend RX 5000 or 6000 series for the full support of Metal 3.

I never considered Sapphire as its cards are very few here with a very short warranty. The page is just a reference as a sponsor.

I would recommend RX 5000 or 6000 series for the full support of Metal 3.
yeah thats what im sought after -- 6600 XT

I have installed Venture 13 and upgraded to 13.0.1, I am using Open Core and my system is i9 10850K on a Gigabyte Aourus Pro Z590 but I still have an old AMD R9 270 (also R9 290). Monterey is working fine w. older version of OC but rather slow boot from NVME and sleep is not working but else very fine system.
I have a working installation of Ventura on a separate disk but no graphics acceleration so I am looking around for a supported graphics card that don't need any tricks to get working.
So I looked in the Extensions folder to see what kexts are awailable for graphics in Ventura, it seems to me that the Device ID of the card is what matters. There are several options to look for, some; Baffin, Vega, Ellesmere and some Navi architecture chips but not the whole lot.
To look up what cards that have the chips iisted in the table, then go to the fine wikipedia page that lists the AMD graphics cards and also what the market name is. (1002 means AMD)
1669068623512.png

Last edited:
I have a working installation of Ventura on a separate disk but no graphics acceleration so I am looking around for a supported graphics card that don't need any tricks to get working.
RX 500 series are already over 5 years old. RX 5000 series were not that good imo. All you need for RX 6000 series to work is the boot-arg agdpmod=pikera. Simple.

For Ventura RDNA 2 RX 6600 is the best price/performance GPU. Get one of the Sapphire brand 6600s.
  • Minimum 500 Watt Power Supply
  • 1 x 8-pin Power Connector.
  • PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.
  • Minimum 8GB of system memory. 16GB recommended.
If you have over 11" of room for a GPU then the Gigabyte version is another good choice. Especially if you'll game in Windows with it.

AMD's second Navi 23 GPU-powered graphics card, the Radeon RX 6600.
The AMD Radeon RX 6600 graphics card features the Navi 23 XL GPU which has 28 Compute Units or 1792 stream processors. The card also has 32 MB Infinity Cache & 8 GB GDDR6 memory capacity running across a 128-bit wide bus interface.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back