Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Pro 1,1 Original
CPU
Xeon 5150 x2
Graphics
Geforce 7300
Hello, I bought a Mac Pro 1.1 not for everyday use, but because it contained 4 1TB disks and the cost-benefit ratio was profitable for me (Argentina haha).
The Mac Pro has a damaged GPU (the screen looks bad) and has a Geforce GT 7300, I have 2 options:
  1. Find a PC video card (Not Mac Edition) and get the MP to work.
  2. Sell the PM in parts or in its entirety, to make a profit.
To be honest, I already have other MAC equipment at home, but I am excited to see a 2006 machine work (although I sell it anyway), so I would like to know if the purchase of the GPU is feasible (not mac edition).

Other doubts I have are:
  • What power supply does the MP come with from the factory? Since I don't see any 6 pin power molex connector.
  • Specifically, what is the latest version of Mac Os that can run without problems? I know that you have to do some hacks to install a newer one.
Thanks since now ! Greetings.

Hello, I bought a Mac Pro 1.1 not for everyday use, but because it contained 4 1TB disks and the cost-benefit ratio was profitable for me (Argentina haha).
The Mac Pro has a damaged GPU (the screen looks bad) and has a Geforce GT 7300, I have 2 options:
  1. Find a PC video card (Not Mac Edition) and get the MP to work.
  2. Sell the PM in parts or in its entirety, to make a profit.
To be honest, I already have other MAC equipment at home, but I am excited to see a 2006 machine work (although I sell it anyway), so I would like to know if the purchase of the GPU is feasible (not mac edition).

Other doubts I have are:
  • What power supply does the MP come with from the factory? Since I don't see any 6 pin power molex connector.
  • Specifically, what is the latest version of Mac Os that can run without problems? I know that you have to do some hacks to install a newer one.
Thanks since now ! Greetings.

Those old Mac Pros required video cards with custom firmware to be able to see the boot sequence.

If you use a "support" video card that did not have the custom firmware, you won't see anything until after Mac OS X fully booted and the drivers loaded.

Some custom firmwares for some video cards can be found on the internet.

Personally, I would not bother with such outdated hardware. It's extremely power hungry and even very low end, modern systems will run circles around it. If you can sell the parts for profit, sell ASAP.

I believe the stock power supply for MacPro1,1 was 980W.

The last officially supported version of Mac OS X is 10.7 (aka Lion).

Those old Mac Pros required video cards with custom firmware to be able to see the boot sequence.

If you use a "support" video card that did not have the custom firmware, you won't see anything until after Mac OS X fully booted and the drivers loaded.

Some custom firmwares for some video cards can be found on the internet.

Personally, I would not bother with such outdated hardware. It's extremely power hungry and even very low end, modern systems will run circles around it. If you can sell the parts for profit, sell ASAP.

I believe the stock power supply for MacPro1,1 was 980W.

The last officially supported version of Mac OS X is 10.7 (aka Lion).
Hello, first of all, thank you very much for the reply.
Yes, I am a user of an MBP 2020, a Mac Mini 2018, and a PC with Ryzen 1700, I am aware that this Mac Pro has nothing to do here.
But personally I would like to see the MP start normally and interact with the system for at least a few minutes haha, as if it were a wish xD.
In conclusion (although I'm not going to blame you haha) could I buy a normal GT210 or GT9500 for PC and would it work even if the Apple logo is not observed?
Does Mac Os version matter? At most it must have Lion but I don't know why I can't see the screen.
Thanks since now !

Hello, first of all, thank you very much for the reply.
Yes, I am a user of an MBP 2020, a Mac Mini 2018, and a PC with Ryzen 1700, I am aware that this Mac Pro has nothing to do here.
But personally I would like to see the MP start normally and interact with the system for at least a few minutes haha, as if it were a wish xD.
In conclusion (although I'm not going to blame you haha) could I buy a normal GT210 or GT9500 for PC and would it work even if the Apple logo is not observed?
Does Mac Os version matter? At most it must have Lion but I don't know why I can't see the screen.
Thanks since now !

I don't think those GPUs were ever supported by Mac OS X. You can try an 8800 GT and flash it with Mac firmware.

I don't think those GPUs were ever supported by Mac OS X. You can try an 8800 GT and flash it with Mac firmware.
Of course the GT210 and 9500GT do not appear in the official list of supported. So if I get a Geforce 7300, even if it is not the mac edition, the system will start without the boot logo but will it be fully functional?
The 8800GT requires external power.

Of course the GT210 and 9500GT do not appear in the official list of supported. So if I get a Geforce 7300, even if it is not the mac edition, the system will start without the boot logo but will it be fully functional?
The 8800GT requires external power.

7300 should work. Yes, you won't see anything until Mac OS X is fully booted and the drivers loaded.

The motherboard has aux power connectors for video cards.

It's a pain trying to use video card without Mac firmware. It's also pretty much impossible to install Mac OS X without one.

7300 should work. Yes, you won't see anything until Mac OS X is fully booted and the drivers loaded.

The motherboard has aux power connectors for video cards.

It's a pain trying to use video card without Mac firmware. It's also pretty much impossible to install Mac OS X without one.
Tomorrow I will try with a 9500GT and if not with a 7300GT. One weird thing to note, is that the 7300GT of my Mac Pro I put it in a normal PC and it worked, it gives me a bit of intrigue to know what happened. Just the 7300GT (mac edition) does not show video (In MP), although chime is heard when booting.

Hi, in the end today I tried with a 9400GT and it did not work.
Now I have another question if I can do it in this thread.
I have a Mac Mini 2018 with Catalina and I have the Mac Pro 1.1 system disk (which does not give video), can I install Mac Os Lion on the Mac Pro disk, externally?
The MP 1.1 disk has Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on it, and I have access to the disk since I connected it with a SATA to USB adapter.
Thanks since now !

Hi, in the end today I tried with a 9400GT and it did not work.
Now I have another question if I can do it in this thread.
I have a Mac Mini 2018 with Catalina and I have the Mac Pro 1.1 system disk (which does not give video), can I install Mac Os Lion on the Mac Pro disk, externally?
The MP 1.1 disk has Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on it, and I have access to the disk since I connected it with a SATA to USB adapter.I d
Thanks since now !

I doubt your Mac mini is compatible with Lion.

If you find a system that is compatible with Lion, yes. You can install Lion on that system then transplant the drive to your MacPro1,1 and it will work.

Remember, your MacPro1,1 has 32-bit EFI. The video card that you use with it will need 32-bit EFI compatible firmware.

Again, it's really not worth the headache. Sell it ASAP.

I was finally able to get video with some instability with the original video card (7300GT) which allowed me to upgrade to OS X Lion and use Mac Pro 1.1 for a few moments (10 minutes) until the fault reappeared.
At least I was able to experience having an old high-end computer and an old OS X, which was what I wanted, it is already on sale.
Thanks.

PD: I use a 2018 Mac Mini every day, and I had a 2015 MBP and MBA, but I have never had such an old machine :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back