GIGABYTE z370xp SLI
CPU
i7 8700k
Graphics
GTX 1050 ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello,
So I built my hackintosh back in January and everything went smoothly other than the graphics. I was planning on just using the integrated UHD 630 graphics from the processor but had many problems with it. I finally got the graphics to work but then after the latest update (10.13.4) the same problems have occurred and it’s frustrating that nothing works for me that others have recommended.

So I’ve decided that I should just get a graphics card and hopefully it will be more consistent and easier to troubleshoot and more reliable. But I don’t know which one to buy, I do not play games but do edit photos and 4K videos. Anything that makes sense for my rig and what I want to do is greatly appreciated!! I feel like when the integrated graphics worked I could already do a lot so I don’t think i need anything crazy, just a simple graphics card that can do 4K at 60hz.

Hello,
So I built my hackintosh back in January and everything went smoothly other than the graphics. I was planning on just using the integrated UHD 630 graphics from the processor but had many problems with it. I finally got the graphics to work but then after the latest update (10.13.4) the same problems have occurred and it’s frustrating that nothing works for me that others have recommended.

So I’ve decided that I should just get a graphics card and hopefully it will be more consistent and easier to troubleshoot and more reliable. But I don’t know which one to buy, I do not play games but do edit photos and 4K videos. Anything that makes sense for my rig and what I want to do is greatly appreciated!! I feel like when the integrated graphics worked I could already do a lot so I don’t think i need anything crazy, just a simple graphics card that can do 4K at 60hz.
I'm in the same boat and use my machine not for gaming but for photo editing.

The easiest cards that work right out of the box with High Sierra are the AMD RX 560 / RX570 / RX580 cards.

I bought this exact RX560 and it works with high sierra right out of the box:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B7YMBFC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Note: If you plan on getting a dual 4k monitor setup, you may want to go with a different card that has dual DisplayPort outs at the card I linked above has only one DisplayPort out and one HDMI out. (I was able to get both to feed 4k displays OOB, but the HDMI connection is only 30HZ and doesn't have accurate color.)

I just ordered this Sapphire RX 580 card as well for my Mac Pro 5,1 (and future hackintosh build) because it has more than one DisplayPort out to feed dual 4k displays at 60Hz.

So you have options and if you don't need two displays, that first RX560 card is great.

Have you had any problems when you update macOS and or installing drivers? when you say it works right out of the box, you just needed to install it on the motherboard and it worked, or are there drivers you have to install with it?

Have you had any problems when you update macOS and or installing drivers? when you say it works right out of the box, you just needed to install it on the motherboard and it worked, or are there drivers you have to install with it?

"Out of the box" means exactly that, that you install the card on the motherboard and it works.

Like my old GTX 760, which is natively supported in MacOS and works without any additional drivers in El Capitan / Sierra / High Sierra.

The RX 570 / RX 580 are now natively supported in MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4, which means they should work without additional drivers (but additional features like HDMI audio may need additional tweaks).

As @james-bond007 said, there are no drivers to install. The RX560 i purchased works simply by plugging it in. I have used this exact same card with my HP 8300 CustoMac, along with my genuine Apple Mac Pro 5,1 and the card works fine without the need for any drivers, etc. since it has native support in High Sierra.

If you only want one 4k display for photo editing, the RX560 is a great cost-effective choice. If you want a dual monitor workstation, I would suggest dual DisplayPort outputs on any card you buy. DisplayPort is the way to go for the greatest ease of use with MacOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back