Contribute
Register

GPU for a 5K monitor (Dell UP2715K)

Status
Not open for further replies.
GA-Z170x-Designare, Core i7-6700k, 2 x GTX 980 Ti, 32GB RAM, macOS 10.12.3, iMac 14,2, darkwake=0, etc. etc. Tried to keep it very vanilla for best chance at compatibility.

The only exotic detail seems the dual gpu... Just out of curiosity, have you tried with a single GPU setup?

Am now playing with Ouimeaux and LaunchAgents to get the monitor to automatically turn on when I restart the computer.

What is you GPU? Is your sleep working? If you find a good solution to automatically power cycle the monitor, please share your findings!

The only exotic detail seems the dual gpu... Just out of curiosity, have you tried with a single GPU setup?
No I haven't. One other thing to note is that I'm using the Sonnet Presto for ethernet and the Roland UA-S10 for sound, both of which have excellent native support. Just in case something other than the display is killing your sleep/wake.

One other thing to note is that I'm using the Sonnet Presto for ethernet and the Roland UA-S10 for sound, both of which have excellent native support. Just in case something other than the display is killing your sleep/wake.

Unfortunately, after over a month of testing with my system stripped down to the minimum (no ethernet, no audio, no bluetooth, native wifi and native USB injection as described in this guide), I can say the issue is definitely related to 5K.
Without nv_spanmodepolicy=1 my system wakes up just fine, even with a dual DP connection or a multi-monitor setup. Wake is also ok with 5k if I switch off the monitor before setting the system to sleep.
Apparently this issue is not very common but is also described in this post.
If I cannot find a solution, since display sleep works and system sleep works with the monitor off, I may end up living with it...

I believe I've finally discovered the magical incantation for getting stable 5K support on the Hackintosh.

You MUST use the MacMini6,2 system definition. For some reason, this is the only sysdef that appears to allow hackintosh's to correctly support Multi-Stream Transport displays. I tried many combinations of editing framebuffers, AGDC settings, overrides, etc. None of it appears to matter. Just this sysdef. Wish I knew what it was doing as perhaps with the right edits we could use only a specific setting with any sysdef.

You need to use an ATI card. The FirePro W7000 works out of the box and has 4 displayports. I picked it because it is essentially the D300 on the Mac Pro 2013. I believe the W9000 will also work out of the box, tho I haven't tested it. But it is far more expensive.

Because of the weird ATI sleep/wake issues on Sierra, you will need to "sacrifice" an nVidia card to the Apple gods in your first PCI-E slot and set it to your primary boot display in the BIOS. The ATI card can work out of your secondary PCI-E and will stay active after boot completes. Sleep/wake should also work fine (obviously only as long as it was working fine before). In theory, doing this with the IGPU as primary should work too, but the computer and display attached to it will never truly go to sleep and you may have a phantom monitor as well if you do this. Maybe I can work around this with more tweaking.

I've only tested so far with the Dell UP2715K on my card ... i may test with the HP Z27q later as I do have one but the cables don't quite reach. We know monitors matter

The good news here ... no half screen cursor issues, no having to unplug the monitor and plug it back in when you boot, and hopefully no unstable sleep/wake issues with the nVidia drivers, but it will take time to verify the long term stability.

My Dell 5K display, double DP start to desktop is 4K, and then turn off the screen switch, and then open to 5K。
(10.12.5,14.2)

Last edited:
My Dell 5K display, double DP start to desktop is 4K, and then turn off the screen switch, and then open to 5K.(10.12.5,14.2)

Oh, that actually works. Before, I had been disconnecting and connecting the cables after startup to get 5K on the Dell 5K display. But this is much better since I don't have to reach for the cables. (10.12.5, imac17,1, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back